Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stabilizer Bar Rear, Removal Suggestions
DennisV
post Aug 12 2023, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

I was attempting to replace the bushings for the rear stabilizer bar on our 1970 914-6 today and ran into a real head scratcher.

The bolt towards the front was installed top down with the head inside a tunnel. The nut visible underneath the car. Turning the nut also turns the bolt. Same on both sides. There is no hole, or tells of a former hole, in the trunk. I can't tell how the bolt was inserted. Nor can I find a way to secure the bolt to remove the nut, never mind think about getting the bolt out.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Underneath, the only access I can find is a nearby hole about the size of a quarter. I can barely get an index finger in there to feel the edge of the bolt head. A box or open end wrench is a no go. Too big and not able to get necessary angle.

The rear bolt came out easily. Bolt head was accessible in the trunk. Nut unscrewed underneath and along came about 12 washers used as spacer.

I could cut off the nut, but the bolt remains. Otherwise I can only imagine taking a hole saw and cutting an access opening above it. I really don't want to cut what appears to be good original metal.

Other ideas?
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 12:18 PM