Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Couple of Novice Points Questions
Craigers17
post Aug 31 2023, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I have a 74 with 2056 dual 40's. I know the carbs are clean and linkage is on point. The car started running a little rough and backfiring and my thoughts were that the points were possibly not gapped correctly. My thoughts were points because last time my car started running poorly with almost the exact same issues, it was bad points.

When I pulled the distributor cap and rotor, I found a piece of pink felt like material in the bottom of the disty. I'm not an expert on points by any means, but I found this unusual. I thought this felt material might have at one time been attached to the points as part of the "brush"....but am kind of clueless. This is an 009 disty and wondered if anybody had seen this before?

I guess my exact question is does anybody know what this pink felt material is? And, does the brush area on this distributor look correct? Also, does anybody have a part number/good vendor for replacement points for this disty? Even if I don't replace these now, i want to have a backup set. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:30 PM