Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A couple questions about fuel pumps
Craigers17
post Sep 18 2023, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I replaced my fuel filter yesterday trying to get to the bottom of a backfiring issue, which hasn't been an issue since I replaced the carbs about 8 or 9 months ago. In addition, about a month ago, the points actually went bad, and the car started running poorly. I recently replaced the points, and it got the car running well at idle. However, the backfiring issue continued, so yesterday I decided to replace the fuel filter(and I bathed in quite a bit of fuel in the process).

After replacing the filter and remounting the facet fuel pump, I noticed that the fuel pump is very noisy all the time. It used to be easy to hear right at start up, but then faded out under the noise of the engine. Now I can clearly hear it all the time. As a side note, about 3 weeks ago, upon start up I noticed that I could barely hear it.....which was unusual(In other words, the sounds of the pump seem to be going in and out). There is no rubber between the pump and the firewall which is where it is located, so I know that could be an issue. My question is are these varying noises with the fuel pump a sign that it could be failing? Also, I assume that if it was failing, this could cause backfiring issues?

I made sure the carbs were synced again today, and the measure about 6 with the AFM at idle and as I give it throttle, the measurements between sides remains consistent.

My only other question is are points made specifically to match distributors and engine size or distributor only? The points I installed were for 009 and 034 distys, but it says on the package that they are for 12-1600cc engines. They SEEM to be working fine, and I gapped them at .016. According to my digital timing gun, the dwell is spot on at 47 degrees. I know that's a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:34 PM