Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stripped oil drain plug, What are the solutions?
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 16 2024, 10:45 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

My daily driver japanese car has an aluminum oil pan…I was sensing that the oil drain plug was going to give way last oil change…was afraid to torque to full value.

I was right…it stripped out on me completely today. Went to my local Foreign car FLAPS to get a 1-oversized plug. It stripped out too when I installed it. FLAPS had a couple other options. See photo.

The left photo is the stripped out stock 14x1.5. 2nd from left is the $71-size oversized, notice it’s longer than stock. A 2X and 3X oversize is callable I’ll probably go this route. 3rd from left is $3…it has a silicone surface gasket and states on it to only hand tighten. I have no confidence in it long term, but might work temporarily. Last one on the right is $7, plastic body, silicone expanding sleeve, and it’s 5/8” OD.

Any better solutions out there other than pulling the pan, welding it closed and tapping a new hole? Timesert maybe?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:04 PM