Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Arrrg, brakes!, I hate em!
mike_the_man
post Jul 28 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #1

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

Ok guys, I need your help. I'm having some problems with my brakes. I have adjusted the rear venting clearence, rebuilt the master cylinder, installed a T in place of the proportioning valve and replaced all the fluid with new DOT 4. I have also checked all the hoses, and the look good, no cracks or anything, and there are no visible leaks anywhere in the system.

The problem is, I can't get a solid pedal. I have bled 3 times since rebuilding the master cylinder and installing the T. I bled once using a vacuum pump, once with a friend stomping on the pedal, and once with a pressure bleeder. I can't see any air coming out, so I'm assuming thats not the problem.

I'm stumped, and very frustrated. The only other thing I can think of is that the calipers need to be rebuilt. They don't look like they're leaking, but one could be stuck. Could a stuck caliper cause a soft pedal? And it's very soft, I can get almost all the way to the floor if I really stomp on it.

Any ideas? I'm getting really close to taking it to a mechanic, but I'm to cheap and to proud to do that. I'd much rather fix it myself.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mike_the_man   Arrrg, brakes!   Jul 28 2003, 11:04 PM
scotty   er...try a new m/c? Any fluid squirting out anywh...   Jul 28 2003, 11:06 PM
Brad Roberts   One sticking piston will cause a spongy pedal. I ...   Jul 28 2003, 11:14 PM
Elliot Cannon   Hi, I had a similar problem with my 911. I...   Jul 28 2003, 11:22 PM
mike_the_man   I have a feeling it may be a stuck piston. Assumi...   Jul 29 2003, 10:50 AM
Brad Roberts   My explanation above will unstick them. The probl...   Jul 29 2003, 10:55 AM
sixerdon   I agree with getting a new M/C in lieu of rebuildi...   Jul 29 2003, 11:22 AM
J P Stein   Try setting the venting clearance at .004.   Jul 29 2003, 11:42 AM
scotty  
  Jul 29 2003, 04:41 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:15 PM