Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Steering Rack Q Post Rebuild
rjames
post May 8 2024, 06:38 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just got my rebuilt steering rack back from 914Rubber, and it looks great!
Before I move forward with the install... When I center the part that the puck/steering shaft attaches to, the left and right sides of the rack aren't equal in length. Should they be? The difference is just a bit more than a 1/4" (the angle of the photo makes it look like less).
I didn't make a note of what it was before I sent it in for the rebuild. Just want to make sure before I start putting the entire front end back on.

Attached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image

It's also very stiff and hard to turn on the bench. 914Rubber noted on the invoice that it would be stiff since it had a new/refurbished tension puck so I shouldn't be paranoid, but it's really stiff. In Ian's video where he shows his rebuilt rack, it appears that he can easily turn his by hand. Not so for me. For those who had their racks rebuilt, is this normal, and if yes, how long does it take to 'break in'? Maybe this is normal and with the leverage that the steering wheel provides I won't notice?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:10 PM