Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> problem setting rear brake venting clearance, disc wobbles
mightyohm
post Oct 10 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ok, so I have a 72 914 with 5 lug all around, redrilled rear 914-4 hubs, 914-4 calipers.

I am having a problem setting my rear brake caliper venting clearance. The brake disc wobbles slightly as I rotate it, meaning that if I set the clearance to 0.004" in one spot, it does not maintain that clearance all the way around as I rotate the disc. In some spots there is too much clearance, in others it goes to 0.000" and the pad drags against the rotor. It is more pronounced on one side of the car but both sides do this to some extent. What gives?

I guess I should add that I just did the following things which may have resulted in this situation:

1. replaced pads, rotors
2. rebuilt calipers
3. replaced rear wheel bearings, meaning I had to take out the stubs axles and hubs and pull them back in. the stubs aren't torqued to 300 ft lb yet but they are probably at 150+ (the most I could easily put on them with the car in the air)

Is the runout of the rotor due to the fact that my stub axle isn't torqued? Did I install the hub slightly crooked somehow, or the rear bearing crooked, or ??? Or is this normal? I'm not really sure what to do about it...

Oh there is one more possibility - the new rotor was a tight fit on my redrilled hubs, it may not be seated correctly? I torqued down all 5 lugnuts directly on the rotor to seat it, you would think that would work but who knows? I had to ditch the little screws since they do not fit on my hubs.

Help!

PS: Porsche specs disc runout at 0.008". If venting clearance is set to 0.004" (according to Capn and DD) isn't that in conflict with the runout spec?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:39 PM