Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT = welding, Learning to weld
mikelsr
post Oct 28 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am taking a welding class at our local community college. We started out with oxy/acetylene to learn the basics and then on to stick welding. We did the basics: running beads, butt joints, overlaps, tee joints, outside corner joints. These were all done flat, then with stick welding we also had to do them vertical (tacked up on a jig). I am still in the stick phase doing my vertical tee joint (not a lot of fun when you have bi-focals, my head can't go back far enough - time for a different set of glasses). We do wire feed next. We have also used the plasma cutter - what a trip!

I know a lot of people say to just grab a mig welder and read a book or watch a video to learn or to just try it but I wanted to learn some basics. I remember when I was much younger I tried to weld a piece back on a snow blade. Looked good but after it cooled off I hit it with a hammer and it flew off (and I thought I had reinforced it). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Last night I had a chance to do some tig welding. Talk about nice. It was amazing and I thought much easier than stick welding. In the next couple of weeks we will learn a bit about mig and we will get to try it.

I wanted to get into a class that taught mig but I had to have this class first, then it will be tig, then mig. sigh.. The reason is that they alternate teaching tig and then mig.

Why did I want to learn to use a welder? I own a 914!

M (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:56 AM