Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> made my first welds today.
VaccaRabite
post Jan 28 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This was my first free weekend in the month since I bought my welder, and I have been dying to play with it.

My first project will be making a rotisserie for my car, but right now I am just playing. I bought a piece of 1/2 inch hollow square tube and have been practicing cutting it apart and butt welding it back together again (and the grinding and such that goes with it. Just doing flux core right now, as when I build the rotisserie that is what I will have to use with my welder (lincoln 140).

After just making beads for an hour or so, I tried welding the two bits together. Then broke them apart easily. Doh. I have gotten some "pretty" welds that broke easy, and some ugly welds that broke hard.

After a couple hours of playing, I have gotten to the point where I can get 2 good welds, but still 2 sides of the square are crappy welds. I can still break the bar apart. But the last attempt for breaking it I have to put all my weight on the bar when I lifted, and it started lifting me before it gave. Still, only 2 of the 4 sides had descent welds on them, so I have a way to go yet. Soon as I eat some lunch, I am going to go out and arc some more.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 03:35 AM