Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dual carbs vs Injection questions., YEs... It's another 914 N00b.
FEF
post Aug 31 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,094

All,

I've been haunting the forums here for a few weeks. I've found the information sound and well reasoned. Well, for the most part. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have the chance to pick up a '75 with the 1.8 (I believe) and dual carbs that's been sitting for about 3 years. I'm told it ran well when it was parked. Here's the thing... I can get it for $600. If it passes the folding car rust test, I may pick it up as my dailydriver beater car. If it ran well enough when it stopped, I should be able to get it going again. But what do I do after It's running????

I've read in other places that the dual carb setup is not good. Now, I'm trying to understand why. Sure, they require 2x the timkering of a single carb, and more electrosavy (Ya... I made the word up) then the EFI. But, is it really that bad? I will not likely race it (Although, I was known to autocross and rally a bit), so high HP is not my goal. I am looking for a fun car that's reliable and has modification possibilities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I'm not saying that I want to bo back to EFI. To me, that's not an option. Before I do any engine work, I'll convert it to an Electric Vehicle. I've seen one move. It don't stink.

Why are dual carbs so bad? Why did one guy say he's only seen one good setup, and it was on a race car with a HUGE budget? I have experiance with 4 carb motorcycles, so multi carbs don't scare me. Should I be afraid? Should I plan on trying to get a single carb intake for the sake of simplicity?

It all sounds kinda odd.

Thanks in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
FEF   Dual carbs vs Injection questions.   Aug 31 2003, 05:45 PM
ArtechnikA  
  Aug 31 2003, 05:56 PM
Dave_Darling   Single carb setups are much worse than duals on a ...   Aug 31 2003, 05:59 PM
LvSteveH   The poor reputation of carbs is largely undeserved...   Aug 31 2003, 10:38 PM
jnp914   The Harley aftermarket guys have produced a couple...   Sep 1 2003, 12:06 AM
ChrisReale   If it ran well before it was parked, why was it pa...   Sep 1 2003, 12:09 AM
FEF  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:41 AM