Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil cooler front install, best parts and places to get.
porsche735
post Sep 15 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

So, we have been running a rear cooler hanging down near the aft of the transmission. It has been doing an OK job of keeping us cool. This weekend we ran at Laguna Seca (where it was supposed to be 74 degrees, but was actually 87) at a charity event. I was taking 3 people out for 3 laps each (about 20 minutes) and then would come in when the temp reached 250. Interestingly, we found that shutting down the engine cooled it off faster than letting it idle (I thought the fan was supposed to cool these things). On Sunday, the temperature was more like 78 degrees. The engine temp, even with 6 people on 3 lap runs each (about 45 minutes) only got the car up to 240 degrees.
As we are still breaking in the engine it makes sense that the temps would come down as teh cylinders have less friction once teh rings are worked in. We are also running regular dino oil, so synthetic should bring down the temp as well (10 degrees or so).
However, even though it looks like we will be able to keep our temps at around 230-240, we have to deal with Buttowillow and Thunderhill at 100 degree temps. I think it is time for a front cooler.
So, I know Brad has spoken about some types that he uses that keep the cars at 190 degrees (which sounds to low to me BTW). What brand are these and where is the best/cheapest place to get them? Also, what is teh best place to get teh AN fittings and oil hose? Do you think that steel braided is a requirement or just looks nice?

Thanks for the feedback...

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 09:27 PM