Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shift Bushing replacement, Looking for hints and tricks
KaptKaos
post Apr 15 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ok, so I am in the process of replacing all of my shift bushings (side shift).

I have the rear rod out, the new rear bushing is in. The new cup bushing is in, but its not on the ball yet.

Here are the questions:

1) What's the easiest way to get the firewall bushing in? I have heard that if you soak it in hot water, it helps it to go in. I have been using a hammer (BFH) and a socket to try and get it in there. Any other hints?

2) Do I need to use a BFH to get the cup bushing onto the ball?

3) The coupler bushings do look look fun at all. I assume that that they mount inside. I have read that I need to get that 1/2" pin out and the best way is to use a vice. Is this correct? I have it soaking in penetrant now, hopefully to make the process easier.

3.5) [edit] How do I get that pin back in when I get the bushings installed?

4) Should I be using or avoiding the use of a lubricant like white lithium grease to help get these bushes in?

5) Lastly, I got 2 new set scews in the kit from PP. The have these little sections on the threads that I assume will "set" the screws as I tighten them down. Is this correct or do I need to reuse the old ones?

Thanks in advance.

- Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
KaptKaos   Shift Bushing replacement   Apr 15 2006, 01:03 PM
blitZ   I have a few answers. 1) Yes, hot water works wi...   Apr 15 2006, 01:14 PM
dlo914   Joe, for the ball cup bushing, you could use a vic...   Apr 15 2006, 02:05 PM
Aaron Cox   Joe - choo got mah numba, gimme a ring a ding if y...   Apr 15 2006, 03:34 PM
Porsche Rescue   The "sections" on the threads of the new...   Apr 15 2006, 04:02 PM
Joseph Mills  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:14 AM