Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru Conversion Exhaust Design, Need advice/input
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 25 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

One of the last remaining things to figure out with my Subaru conversion is how to do the exhaust. I have a few restrictions that make the exhaust design more difficult than normal.

1. I want dual exhaust pipes to exit just on either side of the license plate (through the bumper)

2. I want the exhaust system components (mufflers, crossovers, etc.) to be mounted above the level of the axles. I'm putting a diffuser under the car eventually and need all the space I can get. So no mufflers or tubing below the transmission.

3. I have a set of primary tubes that I bought from Outback Motors that I really want to use as my 'headers.' They are good because they extend below the engine the same amount as my modified oil pan.

So thats pretty much the unusual requirements I have. The difficulty I see is geting any kind of crossover from each side of the engine. Seeing as how I have primary tubes that collect each exhaust port within about 6 inches, I'm wondering if I will gain much by having a crossover at all. Anyone have insight on this?

Also I'm looking for ideas on isolating heat from the rear trunk. With exhaust components mounted up high the heat will really radiate into the trunk. Some ideas I have come up with include: suspended metal heat shields below the trunk as in the OEM heat shield, wrapping the parts with insulation (since they will pretty much never see water this might work well), thermal insulation on the inside or underside of the trunk. Any interesting ideas would be appreciated here.

Finally I'm looking for muffler(s). from the 3 requirements I have I need something small. Reasonably loud is okay, but this will be a daily driver, so nothing that will overtly piss off the neighbors.

Any other ideas or suggestions on the design of this exhaust system would be welcome.

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TonyAKAVW   Subaru Conversion Exhaust Design   Jul 25 2006, 11:55 AM
mrdezyne   :popcorn: I'm going to try the same idea exc...   Jul 25 2006, 12:51 PM
cbenitah   I'm glad you mentioned Boxster.. I would like ...   Jul 25 2006, 12:56 PM
Aaron Cox   tony, go from outback stubby's, up and OVER th...   Jul 25 2006, 01:02 PM
grasshopper   I was going to use a boxter muffler on my car, but...   Jul 25 2006, 01:03 PM
Crazyhippy   I came stright back off the turbo :D It's ove...   Jul 25 2006, 01:22 PM
TonyAKAVW   Aaron: I will have to look, but I'm not sure ...   Jul 25 2006, 01:26 PM
Aaron Cox   tony, yes, it would have to be vertical... thats h...   Jul 25 2006, 01:28 PM
mrdezyne   I like this set up but the inlets and outlets need...   Jul 25 2006, 01:31 PM
mrdezyne   I found these a while back when searching for some...   Jul 25 2006, 01:37 PM
brant   regarding the boxter muffler... behind the axles o...   Jul 25 2006, 02:02 PM
banksyinoz   tony do you need to use the catalytic converters o...   Jul 26 2006, 01:33 AM
mongrel-gs   A boxster muffler will work with this conversion.....   Jul 26 2006, 09:42 AM
horizontally-opposed   :deadhorse: Boxster muffler is not 60 pounds, an...   Jul 26 2006, 11:19 AM
grasshopper   Hey Pete, If you have a Boxter muffler, I am inter...   Jul 26 2006, 11:45 AM
TonyAKAVW   Okay, here's the engine with transmission for ...   Jul 26 2006, 12:00 PM
Joe Ricard   I don't know what would be wrong with a 4-2-1 ...   Jul 26 2006, 12:20 PM
neo914-6   I'm going to run straight back borlas, I want ...   Jul 26 2006, 12:43 PM
TonyAKAVW  
  Jul 26 2006, 12:56 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 04:54 AM