Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need some help diagnosing a front end shimmy.
KaptKaos
post Sep 4 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My car is a fairly stock '73 1.7. Two years ago, I upgraded to turbo tie rods with bump steer spacers. A few weeks ago, I added a Tarret front sway bar and new rear springs.

Recently, I have noticed a slight shimmy in steering wheel. It varies with speed. It slowly seems to be getting worse. Yesterday, I rotated my tires front to back, to see if it was a wheel balance issue. The shimmy persists.

I have gotten advice that I should replace my bearings in the front. I do not know when they were replaced (if ever), so I am considering that as well.

I am looking for a set of procedures that will help me to isolate the problem(s). Ideally, a step-by-step process of things to check that will either identify or eliminate a component as the source of the problem. I don't want to just start replacing things until I find the problem, but I realize that sometimes, cheap replacements are just smart to do anyway (the aforementions bearings).

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
KaptKaos   Need some help diagnosing a front end shimmy.   Sep 4 2006, 10:51 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   front shock going bad? :(   Sep 4 2006, 11:23 PM
drive-ability   I'm sure there are a lot of guys who have had ...   Sep 4 2006, 11:53 PM
KaptKaos   So far, I have the following steps: 1) rebalance...   Sep 5 2006, 08:57 AM
Jasfsmith  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 12:29 PM