Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Initial Diagnosis, Fritz is hurt...
nine14cats
post Oct 12 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

We just looked at the motor in Fritz. We found the belt in the dual distributor broken and one of the disty caps had evidence of arcing. Leakdown shows cylinders 4 and 5 have 100% leakage. You can hear the air rushing past the exhaust valves! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

In a word....fuck... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (Sorry for the language, I'm a little sad and more than a bit frustrated).

It would appear that I either have bent valves in cylinders 4 and 5 or broken rings and / or pistons.

Can a distributor failure in one of the two disty's lead to such a top end failure? I was driving very well at Thunderhill when this happened. I did not miss a shift or over rev the motor. The funny thing was that I was actually feeling smooth about everything.

I cannot describe how bad I feel.

We're having another cup of coffee and the motor will be dropped in about 2 hours. We will tear down the top end over the next few weeks and fix it.

Major bummer.

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   Initial Diagnosis   Oct 12 2006, 11:15 AM
J P Stein   From what I've read, yes. With only one plug f...   Oct 12 2006, 12:04 PM
McMark   The 'dead' distributor was probably firing...   Oct 12 2006, 12:05 PM
Brad Roberts   The second dizzy head ran by the belt runs the bot...   Oct 12 2006, 12:20 PM
nine14cats  
  Oct 12 2006, 07:03 PM
nine14cats  
  Oct 14 2006, 09:02 PM
KenH   You might want to pass what you found by Jerry W. ...   Oct 14 2006, 11:59 PM
nine14cats  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 01:19 PM