Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: IT Guys and Computer Builders, Building in Bulk and License Question
Qarl
post Dec 3 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

One of my companies has 25 PCs in need of upgrading. (i.e, Pentium 3s, low memory, slow HD, etc.)

However, I have valid XP licenses and MS Office licenses for all PCs. Plus they all just received new LCD flatscreens, mice and keyboards, so all i really need is to upgrade the boxes.

I have two options...

1. Buy 25 PCs from Dell or other vendor, and then spend about 3-4 hours per PC uninstalling all the crap they include, reinstalling MS Office, deleting all the crap applications, configuring the security and network settings, terminal emulator, MS Office settings, e-mail, screen savers, pritners, favorites, links, etc. I can probably get them for $350 or so (which would include new (duplicate) XP licenses.

2. Or I can build 25 PCs from parts (easy for me) for about $300 or so. I could then build and configure ONE PC completely, and then clone or duplicate the additional hard drives. Then, all I would have to do is change the IP addresses, e-mail config, and machine ID and be done. This would save me a load of time and work.

The question is, as long as I have the valid licenses for the OS and the MS Office onsite, am I okay, or do you think I am asking for trouble in the event I get "audited" by one of the software companies.

I know getting audited is highly unlikely, but I like to keep my risk low.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Qarl   OT: IT Guys and Computer Builders   Dec 3 2006, 10:23 PM
KaptKaos   Norton Ghost works ok, and there are other program...   Dec 3 2006, 10:32 PM
bd1308   I do your #2 idea daily. Works great! and if s...   Dec 3 2006, 10:34 PM
JB 914   you should be able to do what you describe in opti...   Dec 3 2006, 10:44 PM
anthony  
  Dec 3 2006, 11:00 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:49 PM