Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Electrical system question, what more can I add to the system?
Fyrmdk914
post Dec 7 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,203

I have a 75 1.8. I just got this car about a month ago, and added a 300 Watt amplifir and a single 8" sub-woofer to the already upgraded stereo. Then, about 2 weeks later, my alternator died. I believe that this untimely death was caused by the additional draw on a 31 yr old alternator. I have replaced the alternator with a rebuilt stock Bosch unit and a new regulator. The system seems to be charging fine now. My question is this, How much more draw wil the system handle? I would like to upgrade to the halogen Headlight system, and add seat heater elements into the seats when I have them redone, (soon I hope, but delayed now due to the alternator expense!). I don't think that the headlight upgrade will increase draw much? But I am concerned with the draw from the heaters. I also realize that whenever I use the seat heaters here in So Cal, I will probably also be using the headlights, and I would hate to be in an either/or situation. Also, this car has carbs, so I think that I am saving some current there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Fyrmdk914   Electrical system question   Dec 7 2006, 01:45 PM
davep   Stock alternator is 50 Amps, so 700 watts tops. No...   Dec 7 2006, 02:54 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:03 PM