Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Monitor Death, Help with a dying monitor
John
post Mar 25 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

My monitor has been good to me for the past 6.5 years or so since I received it as a gift.

It is/was an NEC FP1370 display (20/21" CRT display).

Over the past couple months, it has sometimes emitted a high pitched squeal that seemed to go away once it warmed up 2-3 minutes after turning it on. Recently it stopped doing that and seemed to act normal.

Today, it emitted an arcid odor as if an electronic component had let out the magic genie (smoke) inside. The monitor did not stop working or appear to have changed display qualities other than the left hand side top was VERY hot to the touch and smelled of the same arcid odor that the monitor had emitted. We did not notice any smoke, just the odor. It took some time maybe 5 minutes to figure out that the odor source was indeed the monitor.

I unplugged the unit and am not using it as I am afraid it may cause a fire.

My main questions are:

1. Should I junk the monitor or should I search out some sort of repair facility. I have done no research on this.

2. Has anyone ever had a monitor repaired? Was it worth it?

3. How much is a 20-21" LCD monitor?

4. Any guesses as to what may have burned up, yet allow the unit to continue to function?

I know this was not an inexpensive monitor, and I already miss it. It was much larger than the 19" unit I am currently using. I hate to see it go, but if a replacement is to be made, I will replace it with an LCD display (less energy, less space, sharper image).

I use my display for CAD and graphic applications as well as surfing the web, so I opt for the larger displays.

Advice is always welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:45 AM