Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> T4 Break-In Procedure and Oil, It's almost time!
RoadGlue
post Mar 31 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

I finished up my 2056 long block last night and will be installing/breaking it in during the next few days. The ongoing progress thread is over at RoadGlue.com at http://www.roadglue.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209

Everything is new or rebuilt and here's the break-in procedure as I've been told by others:

- Prime oil filter, add oil to motor
- Start motor, don't keep turning over if it doesn't fire right away
- Oil pressure idiot light and/or gauge should indicate oil pressure after a few seconds
- Keep motor around 1500 - 2000 RPM while you roughly set timing and idle
- At 10 - 15 minutes, stop, dump oil. Change filter and oil
- At this time you may also want to check valve clearances again
- Go drive for a few hundred miles, keep under load, drive hard but not abusively so. Don't lug, don't over-rev, don't stay at any one RPM for more than a few seconds
- At 200 miles, check valve clearances, dump oil, change filter

So, something like that, right? What type of oil should I use initially? I know back in '99 when I last did this, we used a non-detergent oil during the break-in.

I have oil pressure, oil temp and cylinder head temp gauges, so I'll be watching everything closely.

Wish me luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:39 AM