Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: looking to get a Golf TDI, any advice? Yea or nay?
Jenny
post May 7 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

Below is a lovely cut n' paste from Brian.

Hi Everybody,
(....hi Dr Nick)

Jenny and I are considering buying a used VW Golf and wanted to get some feed back on some of the things we've been finding out. First of all we are interested in getting the TDI model which I'm well aware is slow as molassas. I like the TDI for a bunch of reasons but most of which is the better mileage and durability (we are also slightly green as our other car is a Prius and we just sold our other Prius). I believe the engine that we'd be looking at for a late model Golf would be the 1.9 L Turbo Diesel (manual transmission, which seems to be pretty rare but definitely in existence). I've been driving small cars my whole life so I'm not really affected by the cramped conditions (I'd prefer to have the Golf over the Jetta due to weight).

We are pretty much just going to use the car to get around town and as Jenny's daily driver.

My questions:

- Is the 1.9L TDI motor as is to be expected with most other Diesel motors (ie reliable, I'm expecting a life of 200-300k miles)?
- Is power (about 100 hp) sufficient for the chasis? We are used to pretty lack lustre acceleration in the Prius and in our 4cyl 4 runner. It looks like the curb weight is 2900 lbs which is about average for a compact car.
- VW has been advertising the safety of their cars, would this hold some what true for the Golf? It's smaller but should have a marginally comparable safety shell as the Jetta.
- Does anyone know anyone that runs them on biodiesel? Supposedly they are 100% ready to run, but I don't think any stations sell the real deal, maybe in Berkeley we can find a B5 mixture, but I don't think the US allows anything higher than B25 right now (and I believe it voids the warranty).
- Anything else that we should be weary of?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!!

TIA,

Jen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jenny   OT: looking to get a Golf TDI   May 7 2007, 05:52 PM
914nerd   For information on the engine and such, check out ...   May 7 2007, 05:59 PM
Cap'n Krusty   They can be easily tuned to provide a LOT of power...   May 7 2007, 07:52 PM
jkeyzer   Hey Jenny, I've been thinking about getting o...   May 7 2007, 08:00 PM
davep   We had two diesel Golfs, overlapping for several y...   May 7 2007, 08:08 PM
swl   What Jeff is saying sounds awful familiar. New em...   May 7 2007, 08:47 PM
911quest   The only problem area's are MAF sensors glow p...   May 7 2007, 08:55 PM
swood   I don't know too much about these and can...   May 7 2007, 09:45 PM
woobn8r   I've seen several diesels with major carbon de...   May 8 2007, 09:00 AM
buck toenges   I have 4 tdi's. 2 manual beetles, 1 '98 m...   May 8 2007, 09:26 AM
ottox914   Don't know this from any personal experience, ...   May 8 2007, 09:47 AM
swl   Don't know this from any personal experience,...   May 8 2007, 05:15 PM
horizontally-opposed   Jenny, You'll be surprised by the torque. Onc...   May 8 2007, 11:49 AM
mudfoot76   Only thing that causes me pause with the late-mo...   May 8 2007, 12:19 PM
Jenny   thanks for all the responses and good advice guys...   May 8 2007, 05:27 PM
anthony   Why did you get rid of the other Prius you had? H...   May 8 2007, 09:38 PM
Jenny   we got greedy and bought the new prius thinking we...   May 9 2007, 01:12 PM
anthony   When do the hybrid stickers expire? End of 2007 or...   May 9 2007, 05:57 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:48 PM