Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Color sanding 101, by golly I have something constructive to say today
JPB
post May 26 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #1

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,107

Color sanding was always a facination and had to give it a shot. My Beater needed some work on the paint because it has a huge amount of orange peal all over it differing from fine to very heavy in some spots. The paint looks so bad, it looks like it has been roled on. These are the products I purchased at a local car paint supplier:

-two packs of Unigrit finishing paper 1500 and 2000 =$42.00

- 3M 06060 Extra cutting compound =$33.57

- 3M 06064 swirl mark remover =$32.07

- a spray bottle for water =$3.00

- one 6" Dura Block = $6.00

I used a spot on the hood that was the worse. First I used the 1500 grit paper on the block and wet sanded a 12"X12" spot. I let the paper do the work and applied very little preasure only sanding in one direction, not swirling or cross hatching the scratches. It took about 10 strokes to remove the orang peal. I dried it with paper towels to see if all the orang peeling was gone before I went to the finer paper.

I used the 2000 grit papaer and wet sanded the same spot for about 10 strokes. It was hard to see the difference it did from the other paper.

I took my buffer with a cloth boot and applied the 3M Extra cutting compound. The retailer said to watch not to do to much of that so as not to cut through the paint. This step left the spot with a dull shine but brighter than the sand paper.

Next was the swirl mark remover. I used the sponge on the buffer for this and after a few seconds, the spot became mirror bright and amazingly smooth.

I did notice a few small scratches which I removed by using the cutting compound again and buffed out with the swirl remover.

To do a square foot took about 5 minutes and left a show quality finish. Beer swigs and ooooohs and aaaaahhs took 50% of the time!

I'm thinking of painting my car myself by using some automotive paint that dosen't need an oven to cure. With attention to detail, I belive I can get a show quality finish at a fraction of the cost and not have to ask a body shop why MY CAR hasen't been painted after four months.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 10:24 AM