Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another 914 ALMOST on the road after 10 years..., Frustrated "newbie" really needs some help!
kfieler
post Aug 30 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Hey folks, I’m EXTREMELY proud to say that I’ve almost got another “teener” on the road… but first, I think I need some help!

Subject: 1973 914-4, 1.7 with fuel injection.

I purchased the car in non-running condition (PO says it sat for about 10 years). I did a TON of work on the car before attempting to start it for the first time (which I will describe at the end of this post).

Long story short, I finally got the car fired-up the other day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) It was running very rough. It would run for several minutes, have a hard time holding idle, then die. After the engine would quit, it would be difficult or impossible to start again until it cooled-down.

Last night, I decided to attempt a tune-up… to get the car closer to running “right”. Here’s what happened:

I could not locate TDC for #1. I did, however, find a “THIN RED LINE” on the fan (which I believe to be the timing mark?). The red mark looks “factory” and not painted by a PO. I put a white dot of paint from a paint marker on the fan (below the red line) to make it more visible.

I double-checked my vacuum hose connections (all new vacuum lines installed on engine).

I installed new spark plugs, a new cap and new plug wires.

I fired the engine and attempted to start timing it with a timing light. Using the timing light, I was able to get the “THIN RED LINE” and my white paint dot to balance in the fan shroud notch by rotating the distributor. Although the engine ran for a few minutes, it died-out before I could proceed further.

After letting the car sit for a few minutes, I was able to start the engine again. It idled for a minute-or-so. It sounded rough and, during idle, it had a "light" backfire one time. Again, it ran for a few minutes then died.

I attempted to start the car three more times. Each time, it would fire - but only run for about a second – then die (almost as if it were only running on the cold start injector?).

With subsequent attempts to start the car – it would not fire.

I added three gallons of fuel to the car (thinking maybe I was out of gas?) and manually ran the fuel pump relay for a couple minutes (to insure the pump was still running and that – hopefully – I was building fuel pressure).

I double-checked the MPC to see if it was still holding a vacuum. It appears to be working. I made certain wiring harness was plugged-into MPC.

I attempted to start the car again. DEAD.

Re-attached my timing light with inductive pick-up to plug wire #1. Cranked engine and noticed the timing light did strobe. Question: Does this mean I still have spark?

I am a complete “newbie” – this being my first project car. I am not a mechanic, but am trying to learn and do this right (so if I sound like an idiot, I am when it comes to auto mechanics).

Please, experts… Any ideas as to what my next trouble-shooting steps should be? I am getting so frustrated that I am about to send this car to a shop… which will completely take my pride in bringing this vehicle back to life away from me!

F.Y.I. – Here are the pertinent things I’ve accomplished in the past month BEFORE I started the car for the first time:

Fuel System:
*Drained the tank of old fuel. Flushed the fuel tank with new fuel.
*Disassembled, cleaned, re-assembled and tested the fuel pump.
*Installed new fuel filter.
*Installed new fuel lines.
*Sent fuel injectors to Witch Hunter Performance for a “rebuild” (cleaning). They came back tested fine.

Engine Electrical:
*Installed new battery.
*Replaced transmission ground strap with a new one.
*Cleaned negative battery ground to chassis.
*Cleaned both battery cables and associated connections. They all look great.
*Cleaned ground bundle to chassis (driver side, next to relay board).
*Removed, cleaned and re-installed relay board.
*Installed known working relays on relay board (fuel pump runs, blower motor runs).
*Installed new ignition switch (original was cracked).
*Cleaned all fuse connections (front and rear).
*Replaced ALL fuses in vehicle.

Vacuum:
*Replaced all vacuum lines with hoses from FLAPS (this is a temporary solution until I can get the “right” metric German hoses).
*Further tightened hoses with plastic zip strips.
*Replaced gasket underneath the “oil filler box”.

PLEASE HELP!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:48 PM