Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Recommended Rev limit for 2.7L 6 cyl, I'm curious
nine14cats
post Dec 23 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Anyone know what the factory valve train is good for at the upper rev limit in terms of reliability? I've got a pumped 2.7L in my 914 with carbs and 10.5:1 compression, mod heads, big cam...the works. Last year I ran without a rev limiter (i'm a knucklehead) and used 7500 rpm as my limit. Towards the end of the year I over-reved the car with my right foot to ~8K a few times and broke a few rings. I had the engine dis-assembled and it's all prettied up again (including more mods!), but I was curous as to what the motor's hardware was originally designed to do. I've heard alot of folks recommend 7200 rpm as safe and reliable.

I purchased a new MSD ignition with the adjustable modules. I can program the rev limit in 200 rpm increments. I'll start at 7K for awhile.

Anyone know what the design limit is? The car has stock valves, springs, crank. Heads have been chamfered for clearance and the pistons are JE. Camshaft from webcam. Weber triple throats on each side. The motor will rev easily to 8K with the tap of the foot.

Thanks in advance for the opinions! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:00 PM