Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Yo RennShift!, were your ears burning ?
ArtechnikA
post Dec 30 2003, 09:14 AM
Post #1

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

you were definitely on my mind Saturday !

went to install the stiffer gate springs in the RennShifter. 3 of the 4 Torx screws came up just fine. the 4th (right rear) fought me tooth and nail. when the normal socket handle didn't work, i tried the impact driver and just succeeded in rounding the splines off the Torx bit. ground the nose down to good splines and tried again, using the time to let some PB Blaster soak in. that didn't loosen the screw, but it -did- remove the splines from both the driver and the screw. tried an appropriately sized square EZ Out screw extractor. the screw head is too shallow for that approach.

put a teeny cutoff wheel in the Dremel and managed to cut a slot for screwdriver blade. nada. heat from the kitchen torch didn't seem to do much, finally i put a sharp chisel in that slot and a few VERY solid blows from the 2,5-lb bronze hammer got it un-stuck. Sheesh!

used stainless full Allen-head capscrews (not the little aerodynamic roundhead stuff...) with anti-sieze on the threads for reassembly. (1/4" fine x 1" for anyone wanting to try this at home...)

love the improved gated feel. took Joy out to get some 911 stick time Sunday and while it'll be a while before she's really comfortable in the car, there were no gear selection issues. the 'just push forward' 1->2 upshift is a thing of beauty, as is the 'just pull back' 4->3 downshift. eeriely empathic - it's like the car just knows what gear it ought to be in.

great product. i think it will impress a bunch of AX and DE instructors when they get the chance to check it out this coming season.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ArtechnikA   Yo RennShift!   Dec 30 2003, 09:14 AM
drew365   I had the same experience, 3 torx screws came out,...   Dec 30 2003, 09:52 AM
James Adams   Sorry about that! :( They come with regular ...   Dec 30 2003, 11:22 AM
jfort   do you have to un-install the shifter to make the ...   Dec 30 2003, 12:24 PM
ArtechnikA     Dec 30 2003, 12:30 PM
drew365   Now that I have my shifter adjusted I painted a sm...   Dec 30 2003, 03:46 PM
campbellcj   I almost mangled the torx screw heads too. I thin...   Dec 30 2003, 03:57 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:00 PM