Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dash Wire Fire - It Happened - $3.75 Can Save U Grief
RickS
post Nov 27 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Was installing Super Bright white LEDs to replace my instrument bulbs and had all the gauges done except the speedo. All was glowing fine until that point. I replaced the two in my speedo and flicked on the light switch to test if they were properly situated and working and then I heard a very faint hisssssssssssssssssssssss, and then the smoke started pouring out from behind the dash. All the dash lights then went out.

Needless to say, I felt sick. At least the smoke was very faint. I checked all the fuses and WTF, they were all fine.

Then I found this article which says, that the instrument lights are one of the electrical systems Porsche/VW didn't bother to fuse. Thanks a lot P/VW!

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/1998/12-98a.html

Prevention is ridiculously cheap and quick. Simply add a $3 fuse holder with a 3 amp fuse to the instrument lights wire at the switch. The wire is black with blue rings. Just place a female and male spade connector on each end of the fuse, plug the thing in to the wire you disconnected, and shrink wrap the ends, or tape it like crazy, and test. And don't forget to disconnect the negative from the battery first. Test with out the fuse, plug the fuse in and your done.

Please 'bump' this post to keep it near the top so everyone sees it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 01:28 AM