Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Newbie advice, What should I take on?
level914
post Jan 6 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,300

I'm trying to restore a 1976 2.0. It has sat for over ten years. I'm at the point where I got the thing running. I have replaced the fuel lines, had the gas tank refinished and boiled out, did the pionts, condenser and plug wires along with plugs. Replaced all vaccum lines with new ones. Changed the oil and filter. And generally cleaned all the electrical. I'm pretty sure all the hoses are in the right place.

I bought the car thinking that it would be a good project to learn on. Little did I know how complicated it is for how small it is. Anyway, this being the first car I've ever worked on, I'm wondering which tasks I should take on, and which ones I should have a shop take care of.

Thanks to the help from the bbs, I have gotten to the point where the car starts up instantly. It seems to idle high, but by adjusting the ecu I can maintain a good idle of 900-1000. I'm not even sure if I should be adjusting the computer. Anyway, I have poor throttle resposne and have to feather the gas pedal to get it to rev up. I also have a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It was mentioned that I need a valve adjustment and to get my timing right. Would it be worth it to get it in good enough shape to take it to a shop where they could do my valves, timing, fuel pressure, computer settings, injectors etc.

Thanks for taking the time to veiw my post.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
level914   Newbie advice   Jan 6 2004, 08:28 PM
type47   you should do the valves, dwell and timing, and fu...   Jan 6 2004, 08:32 PM
level914   Thanks, I just don't know that with untrained ...   Jan 6 2004, 08:51 PM
McMark   Doing a valve adjustment is just good practice usi...   Jan 6 2004, 08:58 PM
vsg914   Dwell and timing are easy. Do them wrong, no probl...   Jan 6 2004, 09:11 PM
level914   Thanks, again for the replies. While I'm here...   Jan 6 2004, 09:42 PM
campbellcj   My vote is BRAKES...   Jan 6 2004, 11:34 PM
ChrisReale  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:44 AM