Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> To drop or not to drop, Should I remove the engine prior to work?
ericread
post Feb 29 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #1

The Viper Blue 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

As I am working my way through my car, I am now planning work in the middle/back of the car. My most pressing requirements are to 1) Stop or significantly reduce engine oil leaks; 2)Perform a clutch rebuild job, and ;3)Replace the transmission and motor mounts.

My plans were to work on the oil leaks first. I have ordered new push rod tubes, push rod tube seals (O-rings), and oil cooler seals from Aircooled Technology (along with some Dirko and Loctite 565 - I figure Jake knows what the hell he's talking about, so I'm following the advice he has posted in this BBS and on his website).

I was expecting in April to order the 19 piecce clutch rebuild package from AA and motor/transmission mounts from Pelican Parts.

So... My question: I have been fearful of even the thought of removing the engine to perfrom the work. For the oil leak issue, my thought was to perform the work wjhile the engine is in the car. I am uncertain whether to remove the engine prior to seperating the engine from the transmission for the clutch job.

WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE??? This is a 1974 2.0L with original FI. I have a small garage where I turn wrenches along with a fair assortment of hand tools. I have no "bench" or other professional amenities.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:46 PM