Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Should I or Shouldn't I...pistons and cylinders?, Can of worms?
computers4kids
post Mar 17 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I pulled apart my spare 75 2ltr down to the block (didn't split the case) that I'm planning on putting in my 75 project car. I also pulled the heads. My intentions was just to clean it up, do a visual inspection on the heads and re-seal the motor. I was going to take the heads down to our local machine shop to have them cleaned and if necessary a valve job.

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should remove the pistons, have the cylinders honed and new rings installed? Is this worth doing on these type of motors...or do most just buy a cylinder and piston kit?

Looking at all the kits available make me wonder whether to go with the stock 94s or a big bore kit. I see Jake sells a stock Mahle kit for $284 and the big bore kits are between 3 and 4 hundred elsewhere. I have both stock injection and weber 40s...probably go with carbs. I don't want to split the case to replace the cam.

So what do you think? (you can tell from my questions, I'm not much of a mechanic...but I like doing things for myself)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:13 AM