Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fixing my thermostat, How I did it
MrKona
post Apr 23 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

There was a recent thread about thermostats... it reminded me that the thermostat that came with the engine I'm building was broken, and I had to either buy a new, used one, or see if I could fix the one I have. I followed the informative article by Richard Atwell with good results. Ratwell link

My thermostat had sprung a leak somewhere which eliminated the negative pressure vacuum a functioning thermostat holds at room temperature. The thermostat is supposed to measure around 35mm in length at room temp, mine measured around 46mm, which is the normal expanded state length. I examined it closely and could not find any cracks around the perimeter, so I assumed there must be a break at a brazed surface. I was in luck, it was fixable!

Just for kicks, I placed it in a hot water bath approximately 180 degree F, and there was no significant change in length, pre- to post-bath.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 02:05 AM