Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Strut 911 conversion puzzle, Koni struts in Boge (?) housing
harlenl
post Jun 2 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,640

Well here's a puzzle for you guys that even Eric and the guys at Paragon couldn't figure out. I purchased a 911 strut assembly for a 5 lug conversion from a fellow club member. I was told at the time it was Boge strut assembly from an early 911, possibly a '71 (3" caliper).

Eric redid the calipers (beautiful job) and as I was test fitting putting it all together I ran into a problem. When I inserted the new Koni yellow struts (for the Boge) into the newly powder coated boge housing, the gland nut will only turn a couple of times on one side and I can't it started on the other. The gland nut will fit over the "crown" of the strut, but will bottom out on the Koni housing. Measuring the inside of the housing to the top was 14.5" and so is the Koni strut. According to the Paragon guys, all Koni's are the same length so it wouldn't matter if it was a Koni or Boge housing.

There are two things that make this curious (and frustrating), there is about a 1/2" stand-off on the bottom of the insert that if whacked off would allow it to fit. Also, the diameter of the gland nut that came with the struts are too wide by about 1/16". Luckily the gland nut from Eric fits the threads just fine, just can't get it pass the strut insert housing to gain more thread.

Any thoughts? It seems like I should take a grinder to the strut insert and cut off the stand-off, but I don't want to ruin it if I don't have to.

Thanks
Harlen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:06 AM