Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I ALWAYS WANTED A lAMBORGHINI, but no longer a must., A 914 story I think you will appreciate.
tronporsche
post Sep 12 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

I was reading a gentlemans' thread on considering getting rid of his 914. It really made me realize something, and appreciate my car even more. Since I was younger, my dream was to have a Lamborghini Countach; I used to draw and color pictures of the car, and would nearly faint everytime I saw one. As I grew older, different models came out, like the Diablo, Mercialago, for example. I even got the opportunity to detail a replica countach in public, it had a fiero engine in it but who knew? I even saw a replica for sale years ago for $25,000, but I just couldn't talk myself into trying to buy a "replica" Lamboghini....I would know it is not the "real deal Holyfield" and I can't do that with a Lamborghini. Eventually, I started to realize because the car cost so much, especially when it needs a part (years ago, it was $7k for a clutch for the Countach) that unless I hit the lottery....and I don't gamble......that the possibility of me owning one of these over-prised luxury cars, is next to none, especially because now , I would want a newer model Lambo. If I really, really wanted to though, I could own one rite now. All I would have to do, would be, to sell my house, and put my family and myself out on the street, and than I could have it. -"Not gonna happen"- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) But I have to admit, I still get chills down my spine when I see one of these cars.

Now, let's be honest, who drives a Lamborghini, and doesn't want, expect, or enjoy the attention, you get when people see you get in or out of one of these things ? Kinda like an overgrown 914 ....right???!!!. Well,thus, the topic of this thread.

Of course, the 914 is a awesome car to drive, whether you have a conversion, or are stock. The history of the car even makes it more exciting to drive. We even keep the car in the family and pass it down from decade to decade. We even put up a fight to those other Porsche guys who like to call us names and tease us because we supposedly don't have "real" Porsches, even though we WHIP THEIR BUTTS AT THE TRACK !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Well, reading the gentlemans' post as to getting rid of the 914, made me reminise of the trip my wife and I just took to Santa Barbara a few weeks ago. Driving on the Pacific Coast Highway(101 freewy) next to the ocean, is truly amazing with the targa top off and is truly rewarding if you just finished your 914 project, and take the "ultimate cruise", during the summer. Along the way, on the PCH, You flip up your headlights, hang your elbow out the window, and go 55 miles per hour, in the slow lane (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . In return, You get people honking their horns and waving at you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) , thumbs up, and little kids in the back of the family van with Rover asking dad and mom "what kind of car is that ?", while they pass you up in the fast lane. You truly feel on "on top of the world"!

When my wife and I arrived in Santa Barbara, the first place we stopped off at was the pier. There are fine restaraunts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) , and many people of different ethnic backrounds. While I am aware that my 914 is a "little" flashy, because of the shiny rims, and it is a different car than people see on the streets everyday, I am not a person who desires the attention of people, I actually prefer to stay to myself, and am personal. Well, on this particular trip, I decided to wear one of my favorite shirts....my "Ronaldhino" Barcelona soccer shirt, brought for me as a gift from Brazil. I can't emphasize enough, the amount of stares and times my wife and I had to stop and answer peoples questions and comments on the 914(one lady said she had a 914 in France), as well as the soccer shirt, as we tried to get to the restaraunt! People even asked if they could take pictures with me and the car, and yes, the soccer shirt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) It was predominately the foreigners that did this, and I think between the rare sportscar, the soccer shirt, and the diamonds blingin' on my wife, they suspected I was, or use to be, a proffesional soccer player. (soccer is the most popular sport in the world, so the forigners would identify with the shirt more so than an American) Well, after those interesting encounters, we went downtown to state street, where there is an outdoor shopping mall, and experienced the same thing. I told my wife after the trip, I have no plans or desire of being a CELE-BRATY, but if you ever wanted to know what it is like being married to one, well, you just found out !! She agreed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Well, after a fun day in Santa Barbara, (I even got to spend time with Mike Z, another Porsche enthusiast) I got back into town, stopped off at the gas station, and was approached by more people with questions about the car. This day of peoples' questions, comments, and curiosity of the car, led me to one conclusion.....a clean, 914 Porsche, can get just as much attention as a Lamborghini, or any other exotic sportcar for that matter, would !!!

After realizing this, my mind changed on wanting a Lamborghini, just for looks. But what about speed ?? Well, I saw a television show, that showed a brand new Lamborghini mercialago (or however you spell it...) get dusted on the track by a .....stock.........-ready for this?-.......Subaru EVO !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Besides, the speed limit is 55-65, anyways !!!

So having this been said, my desires for a Lamboghini are over, but if I strike it rich somehow, I'll probably still get one!! The next time I go to Santa Barbara, I WILL NOT wear the soccer shirt (the car and the shirt combined, attract toooo much attention , and can destroy a nice private day with the wifeee ......CELE-BRATIES, I FEEL BAD FOR YOU !!) ............and since I stll like the Lamborghini, and have modified my 914 already, I will eventually get the Lambo doors on it...... good enough for me !!!! Oh yea , to all of you who are thinking of getting rid of your 914......DON'T DO IT !!!

Thanks for reading my story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) ..........TRON!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
tronporsche   I ALWAYS WANTED A lAMBORGHINI, but no longer a must.   Sep 12 2008, 01:49 PM
jim_hoyland   Thanks for sharing; great story.   Sep 12 2008, 01:54 PM
SirAndy   :thumbsup: Never been bitten by the Lambo Bug. T...   Sep 12 2008, 02:18 PM
Root_Werks   Ferrari for me. The 348's :wub: Drove a 355...   Sep 12 2008, 02:29 PM
byndbad914   Dude - wait 'til next month's 914Magazine ...   Sep 12 2008, 02:41 PM
tronporsche   Dude - wait 'til next month's 914Magazine...   Sep 12 2008, 03:37 PM
byndbad914   ..I'm not saying don't do it - just sayi...   Sep 12 2008, 05:18 PM
r_towle   Tron,,,dude, seriously...a soccer player???? :rot...   Sep 12 2008, 02:45 PM
tronporsche   Tron,,,dude, seriously...a soccer player???? :ro...   Sep 12 2008, 03:54 PM
monkeyboy   Love that license plate!   Sep 12 2008, 02:51 PM
turnaround89   Your car is beautiful, do you mind if i ask the na...   Sep 12 2008, 03:00 PM
tronporsche   Your car is beautiful, do you mind if i ask the n...   Sep 12 2008, 04:07 PM
tronporsche   he,he, ha,ha   Sep 12 2008, 04:07 PM
Todd Enlund   These cars do get attention, especially when they ...   Sep 12 2008, 03:10 PM
turboman808   I will admit that from overhead the countach looks...   Sep 12 2008, 03:56 PM
MrKona   I think more kids had posters of the Lamborghini C...   Sep 12 2008, 04:01 PM
So.Cal.914   Dude, your a handsome Guy with a beautiful Wife bu...   Sep 12 2008, 04:09 PM
tronporsche   Dude, your a handsome Guy with a beautiful Wife b...   Sep 12 2008, 04:37 PM
So.Cal.914   Aaaaaah, nice car? :unsure: :rotfl: The...   Sep 12 2008, 07:00 PM
wbergtho   Nice story and nice pics of the car....err...and t...   Sep 12 2008, 07:47 PM
dw914er   what is a subaru evo? you mean mitsubishi evo or a...   Sep 12 2008, 09:31 PM
tronporsche   Well said, Ben !!   Sep 12 2008, 09:49 PM
sww914   Was there a car there in those pics? didn't n...   Sep 12 2008, 10:11 PM
LarryR   Was there a car there in those pics? didn't ...   Sep 12 2008, 10:17 PM
kwales   I dunnow, On Friday, there was a little red Lam...   Sep 13 2008, 01:38 PM
carreraguy   Hey Tron - if you are in to Lambos you definitely ...   Sep 13 2008, 02:20 PM
johannes   Just watch this ! ... http://www.youtube.com/...   Sep 13 2008, 05:21 PM
So.Cal.914   A quarter million dollar toy. :blink: :) Thank...   Sep 13 2008, 08:59 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:42 PM