Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ignition problem... 1973 1.7, Any idea what is wrong?
kfieler
post Sep 15 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Hello! I have a 1973 1.7 with an ignition problem... when I turn the ignition key to start, the engine does not crank. I have a couple of questions, but first the background...

The car has a new ignition switch, a new trunk-to-trans ground strap, new negative battery cable, and new (rebuilt) starter. I cannot start the car with the key (ignition switch)... the only way I can start the car is by turning the key then "jumping" the solenoid at the starter (all that proves is that I have a good ground, a good starter and good + running to the starter).

The car started fine (for about 3 months) after I installed a brand new starter switch then, once in a while, I'd have to turn the key a few times for the starter to kick-over. Eventually, the car would not start at all with the key. The solenoid wire is plugged into the starter and looks to be a good connection.

Question: Is it likely that my new ignition switch went bad in such a short period of time?

Question: There is a "seatbelt idiot light" on the dashboard, but I've never seen it come on (with or without passenger in car or seatbelts on or off). In a 1973 1.7, is the seatbelt idiot light a "passive" system or could I have a seatbelt problem (i.e. under the passenger seat) that is keeping my starter from starting?

Question: On a 1973 1.7, is there anything (like a relay or fuse) between the battery, starter switch and solenoid that I need to look for (i.e. is there a starter relay under the dash)?

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting help ideas you can provide. I am tired of reaching under the car every time I want to start it! :-)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 04:48 AM