Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT:"The worlds most expensive car"... O.K..., It is not a 914, unfortunately. But this was funny.....
tronporsche
post Nov 3 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

While I have found recent enjoyment in watching car shows lately (By the way on HD net there is a show starting Friday at 8:00 pm called "Star Racer", in which contestants compete in formulas for stardom), this weekend proved to be no different when I decided to watch "The worlds most expensive car".

This car is known as the AutoUnion. This car was made by the company we know today as ....AUDI. This car, which was only 1 of 5, was made in 1939 by Audi as a request by Hitler, for a car to be designed that no one could beat on the track.

In Paris France, there is a collectors car auction that attracts over 120,000 people. This "AutoUnion" was to be at the auction, as a worth of a reported $15 million dollars. Word was out about this car being there, as many of these multi-million dollar car collectors have never seen one with their own eyes, as these cars are DEREZ, (I had to do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) exept this one.

So what is so funny about this ????

Well CHRISTIES, who is an Auctioneer of exotic items, and as one collector put it..."If CHRISTIES says a car is what they say it is, than it is". Well, as the show started from begining to end, the focus is on CHRISTIES, as well as the car, People are talking about the worth or value of the car, in their opinion.

This car is also known as "chassis number 21".....this is the car that one the France Grand Prix, behind all of the glory of the car in 1939. But here is the opinion of Wayne Carini of F40 motorsports (by the way during this episode, he brought back his clients vintage "Superfast" Ferrari at $465,000)........."At the race, there was no chassis numbers put down, it was just the car was raced under the number, so the number seven for instance, this car raced at.....and, and, that is just a piece of bodywork you take off and you put number seven on a different chassis, so it's hard to say, is this the actual chassis that the driver won the race in." He describes the reason behind this as being "They were just a tool back then, (the car) and it wasn't important what number the chassis was."

After that comment , they interviewed good ol' Rupert Banner from CHRISTIES who had this to say, "Its alway difficult to qualify, I mean these things can come out at the last minuite, but the publicity as you well know has been extremely sensitive for this, and that can bring all type of people out of the woodworks who perhaps have something to say." ...........Ya think ???

So when the auction starts, there is a major announcement........."THERE WILL BE NO SALE OF THE AUTOUNION" It has been withdrawn pending further investigation of the cars history.......WHAT!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Apparently , CHRISTIES was just "tipped off", that this is NOT the famous chassis number 21, that won the French grand prix, but the less prestigeous number 19. How the numbers were switched still remains a mystery, and Audi would not comment.

As Christopher Sangi, the big man at CHRISTIES put it , "At CHRISTIES' perspective ,our number one goal is to get it rite, in this case we had to stop ,take more time with industry leaders to get the story rite, to make sure we knew exactly what we were selling. We're the worlds' leading auction company, and that is what we do best."

Well, I've got to tell you, if I was one of those car collectors that flew half way around the world with a focus on buying that AUTOUNION, I would be pretty pissed off that Christies didn't make sure of their research BEFORE this annual event , and would burn someones ears off about the "that is what we do best "comment !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) And as for the AUTOUNION........it still sits somewhere that nobody knows, and nobody knows the value of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:22 AM