Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Exhaust stud repair., WTF????????
BiG bOgGs
post Nov 21 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #1

The Bogus One

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

This weekend I am doing a replacement of the push rod tube seals, my first valve adjustment, a repair of the pulled exhaust stud on the driver side, and a permanent plugging of the air injection holes with a couple bolts and a little JB weld.

This morning I put the teener up on some ramps and crawled under her to remove the exhaust from the heads so that I could re-tap the one loose stud and replace the gaskets with a set I got from the good Dr. in Atlanta. When I got under there, I saw two allen bolts in place of the nuts and studs I was expecting. And when I unscrewed them from the head I pulled out the timecerts that they were inserted with. plus, there was no copper gasket. Here is what I have now.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I will now have to cut the bolts in order to get them off of the exhaust, and as you can see in the one pic, they had to split the sides of the exhaust just to fit the bigger bolts. I was able to tap the head with a M12X1.5 tap, so I believe I will be able to put some threaded inserts in there along with some new studs, and the one stud I was doing this whole procedure for in the first place looks like it will be able to be re-tapped for the 8/9 studs I have on hand, but I might have to go to a 8/10.

At least it is a beautiful sunny day here in SW FL.

Any suggestions as to things I might consider as I get ready to put this bit of Porsche happiness back together?

Jim

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:35 PM