Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to prevent oil leaks?, Surely it must be possible!
ThinAir
post Feb 19 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've always believed that it is POSSIBLE to build a Type IV that does not leak, with either synthetic or natural oils. The question I've had is "how?"

This gets to "where do Type IVs leak from"? Now there are obvious places like oil pressure senders that can be problems from time to time when something malfunctions, but that's not the issue. It's more an issue of the kind of oil "seep" that results in the bottom of the engine being moist with oil, but you can't tell where it's coming from. It makes me wonder what kind of sealant (if any) should be used in places like
Case halves
Push rod tubes
Cylinder-to-case
Cylinder-to-head
etc.

Since I'm in the middle of a rebuild, I'd really like to do this right. When I got my training on overhauling Type 1s the sealant of choice was "GaskaCinch", but it's not 1980 anymore and there have been lots of advancements. What is available now, and where should it be used, to achieve a Type IV that does not seep oil?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ThinAir914   How to prevent oil leaks?   Feb 19 2004, 12:15 AM
ChrisReale   Taco Plate. Many people (including myself) fail t...   Feb 19 2004, 12:16 AM
Jake Raby   If I get a single drop in the dyno tray after 8 ho...   Feb 19 2004, 02:09 AM
type47   aircraft engine rebuilders put a string in the mat...   Feb 19 2004, 10:27 AM
Jake Raby   I use waxed dental floss dipped in curul K2 for we...   Feb 19 2004, 10:42 AM
need4speed   I always figured if you've got a Porsche/VW en...   Feb 19 2004, 11:09 AM
914ghost   I've built a bunch that dont leak for a looong...   Feb 19 2004, 11:42 AM
L8Apex   LOL. I think this will be a long battle. Or you ...   Feb 19 2004, 12:07 PM
tat2dphreak   :lol: switch to a v8... :blink:   Feb 19 2004, 12:20 PM
ThinAir914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:41 PM