Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Deck Height, I'm confused could someone help me out here
stephenaki
post Feb 13 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

OK, first off, this motor is so much more complicated than my MG motors! So, I started looking at the piston assembly to the rod and subsequent assembly of the cylinder to the crankcase. It was then that I remembered reading on the forums about "deck height."

My understanding of this concept is somewhat rudimentary but the basics, as I understand it, is that deck height is the space between the highest part of the piston and the top of the cylinder head combustion chamber. Please correct my understanding if I am mistaken.

I have also read through several threads discussing how to measure deck height in order to shim it properly, change geometry, increase/decrease compression....my head hurts.

Since I want to get this thing put together properly I need to know the following.

1. how do I measure deck height (depth gauge is best from what I read).
2. how do I determine "IF" I need shims.

Now I know a lot depends on what I have so here is what I am working with.

1.7L crankcase
2.0L crank and connecting rods (no, I don't know the measurement of the rods. If needed, can I measure without re-opening the case? How do I measure them?)
standard 94mm bus cylinders and piston set (new set, pistons are dished)
1.7L heads that were machined to fit 2.0L piston and cylinder (I checked, they fit)

Rods and crank were balanced prior to my getting them and then the assembly, cylinders, pistons, rods, crank, etc. were balanced as a unit.

The PO had a 1.7L crank and rods with 2.0L jugs and no shims were present when I disassembled the motor.

I am venturing into a completely foreign area and concept for me and can use all the help I can get. I am not after anything spectacular, I just want the motor to run efficiently so I can drive and enjoy the car. I don't plan on racing it. HELP!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:30 PM