Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Amateur night - Cracked valve guide guide, oops
fraggle00
post Feb 22 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,202

OK, first lesson, if you get frustrated - STOP and get back to work later.

Now that I've learned that, what I can I do about this:

I drilled my hole a little off-center for my intake valve guide removal ('75 2.0). Now I've got two problems

1) When I tapped the guide hole for my bolt, the threads bit into the sidewall of the head a little
2) Due to this, threads in the guide were weak and tore out
3) Got a little furstrated and tried an alternative method of banging out the guide (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
4) Bad idea as it expanded a little and cracked the head down near the intake port. I quit right away at that point and found a better alternative method. I also scarred the valve guide hole a little.

(IMG:http://home.mindspring.com/~frachel/headgoof-1.JPG)
(IMG:http://home.mindspring.com/~frachel/headgoof-2.JPG)

Question is: Is this repairable? I can't be the first one to have done something this dumb. Of course, the guide I knocked out went great, as well as the both exhaust guides.

The '75 2.0 heads (for a very short time) used smaller diameter intake valve guides, so I probably could have it machined up to the next size, but I'm not sure what would happen down in the intake port.

Experts??? What's the opinion out there?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 01:44 PM