Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> One of the causes of gear box whine
Dr Evil
post Apr 5 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I dug into a customers box last night and from the cursory inspection it was one of the cleanest, least abused gear boxes that I have ever been in (from a customer). Most stuff will need some changing around with very little parts replacement. There was no complaint that I know of. Once I removed 1st gear I saw this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is a common cause of high gear whine. In the higher gears the pinion shaft, which is what the lower bearing in the intermediate plate pictured here supports, is spinning at its highest RPM. At this higher pinion RPM most problems with this part of the tranny will become evident. If you have a whine at lower gear and higher engine RPM then you most likely culprit is the input shaft bearing which is the upper bearing in the intermediate plate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:12 AM