Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: 1975 911S, need advice, went to look at one.
michaelmoo
post Apr 27 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,092

I went to look at a 75 911s 2.7 coupe (no a/c) on Friday. Need some advice.

Here is the low down on the car: two owners (current has had it since 79), 100k miles, garages all it life minus 5 years it lived in Texas. Has all records going back to 1975, but has been sitting for over a year (will get to that in a moment).

Interior: seats need new covers with the drivers being worse; dash is faded but not cracked. The carpet, headliner, rear seats, etc are almost perfect. The steering wheel horn button/pad retaining clip is broken. early 90's am/fm/cd. Windows roll up and down with no issue.

Body: front driver fender is shot. It has some rust. Will have to replace it. Front hood has 34 years worth of rock chips, no wrecks, a few door dings, all panels line up almost perfect. Some rust (surface no rust thru) in battery box. The drivers and passenger door jambs have some strange rust holes. Looks like it could be ground and welded. No other rust. Floor pans are good with no rust. Rear reflector is cracked. No rust in head light buckets. Front needs to be repainted (hood and new fender). But entire body could use a repaint.

Brakes: it has none. Pedal goes almost to the floor before any (little) pressure. Need to be gone through.

Wheels/Tires: Tires are about 2 years old (but sitting for the last year) and the Fuchs need to be refinished (they are black and polished and the black is faded).

Shocks: I did the bounce test and they all seem normal.

Engine: Hasn’t run in a year. Last time the guy drove it was on his way back from his “new” mechanic. The “new” mechanic said that “the 2.7’s are terrible engines and need to be rebuilt every 50k miles and this one is long over due.” It freaked the guy out at the price of the rebuild and he hasn’t driven it since. He said that the engine felt fine but the guy said it needed it. He in the late 80’s updated to the Carrera chain tensioners. An 11 blade fan was installed before he got it (I believe that the 74-75 had the 7 blade fan) in 79. He didn’t want to crank it because he didn’t know about the oil sitting for a year and that his mechanic said his engine was “about to go”. I know the 2.7’s have there head stud issues but I think this mechanic was trying to pull a fast one. The engine is fairly clean with a little grime around the oil lines and the oil tubes. He says he hasn’t cleaned the engine since he parked. Which looking at the dust I believe.

So I know being a 2.7L engine the head studs will have to be replaced at some point. But what are yall’s general thoughts on this car?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 01:33 PM