Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back in a 914 - and have one question now- more to follow I'm sure
Jona Gold
post Apr 27 2009, 09:37 AM
Post #1

The Righteous are as Bold as a Lion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,745
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi out there-

It's been just over two years since I owned a 914 and my wife and I just bought another this weekend.

It's a 1970 1.7L and seems to be reasonably stock. I have an issue I'd like to work out sooner rather than later and hoped someone could help.

I searched the forums first- didn't find what I was looking for and so here goes:

The fifth gear on this '70 pops out - especially under load (upon giving it gas to go faster). I recall my '73 having a similar issue- but it was with a different gear and it was the side shift tranny - not the tail shifter that's in this early car. I had a 71 tail shifter as well- never had an issue with that one.

I plan to commute in this car this summer and my commute is 40 miles one way- so I'll use 5th gear a lot! I'm hoping to NOT have to hold the shifter in 5th all the way to work!

Any ideas or suggestions on how to remedy this issue would be great. Of course being a 914er I'm budget minded- don't mind the sweat and elbow grease methods though! So what's the least expensive but SAFEST way to resolve the issue? Should I check linkage first? Any trick to that? I've not played with tail-shift linkage yet.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 06:34 PM