Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Altitude & D-Jet Adjustments
ThinAir
post Aug 10 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've had some issues lately with very low & rough idle as well as some hunting behavior. As part of preparation I've been reading Brad Anders' tretis on D-Jet Idle Stability (http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/idle.htm). I know that hunting is an indication of a vacuum leak, but I'm wondering about proper settings once that is solved.

In his last paragraph he mentions that since the D-Jet doesn't do any altitude mixture correction, you should expect additional instability in the mountains. Well, I live and drive at 7,000 feet so there are few places with thinner air for driving than Flagstaff. Although I used to have a car that idled fine by my standards, I'm wondering now about how adjustments are affected by altitude.

If I were to take my car down to Tempe (1,000 feet) for work at a shop that I trust to set CO and such, would I be wasting my time and $$$ because of the big difference in altitude? I don't know of a shop in Flagstaff that knows 914s well enough to do this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
SLITS
post Aug 10 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Ernie, I disagree about D-Jet altitude compensation. The MPS is reactive to both atmospheric pressure and vacuum in that it constantly compares the two in operation.

I do remember years ago a discussion of a module that was available that plugged into the harness for altitude compensation when the vehicles constantly were driven at high altitude though I do not remember what the spec was for "high altitude operation". It apparently was very rare.

Also, there is a discussion of the system on Shoptalk forum wherein the voltage to the system and RF interference is discussed along with valve adjustments, tune and worn engine low vacuum having a great effect on the D-Jet system.

I would tune it to where you live, just as you would a carburetor as there is significant difference in air density at altitude and temperature affecting the A/F ratio.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 10 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I've driven my djet at altitudes greater than 7000 feet. Including flagstaff and the canyon a few times. I have never experienced any problems from my mps. Hunting at idle is usually a lean mixture caused by an improperly adjusted tps, or the mixture knob on the ecu.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 10 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The barometer (basically) that was used for altitude compensation was on the L-jet systems, not the D-jet ones.

In theory, since D-jet measures pressure relative to the ambient air pressure in the engine bay, it is not affected by altitude.

In practice, it does seem to be--at least to some extent. I would bet that a 6000-foot change in altitude would make the finer adjustments valueless. It might be cool for large-scale changes, though.

Tune at the altitudes you drive in. Use a wide-band O2 meter to make sure the mixture is reasonable.

And Curt is right about the idle hunting; it is usually caused by a lean mixture.

--DD
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Aug 10 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #5

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 10 2012, 05:58 AM) *

Ernie, I disagree about D-Jet altitude compensation. The MPS is reactive to both atmospheric pressure and vacuum in that it constantly compares the two in operation.

I do remember years ago a discussion of a module that was available that plugged into the harness for altitude compensation when the vehicles constantly were driven at high altitude though I do not remember what the spec was for "high altitude operation". It apparently was very rare.

Also, there is a discussion of the system on Shoptalk forum wherein the voltage to the system and RF interference is discussed along with valve adjustments, tune and worn engine low vacuum having a great effect on the D-Jet system.

I would tune it to where you live, just as you would a carburetor as there is significant difference in air density at altitude and temperature affecting the A/F ratio.

......The last sentence,...is the way to start.....always has worked!
(Drums66 & I approve yhis message)
(DRUM66 & I approve this message
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 10 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Best friends

Member No.: 231

Thanks, guys. My ECU was adjusted a few years ago when Joe Sharp brought a tailpipe analyzer to RRC in Moab (6,000 feet), but I understand that things can change over time and need readjusting.

I'm not up to speed on wide-band analyzers and what's on the market. Any recommended models & sources?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 05:23 PM