Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gasoline Heaters, 914's and buses
Randal
post Nov 20 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Did 914's and buses have gasoline heaters and if so where were they and how did they work?

Love to see a picture if anyone has one.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 20 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

No, and I don't know

Ersbacher? heaters ..... thought they were early 911.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 20 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #3

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Eberspacher made the heaters for the VWs. They have since changed their name to Espar. Do a Google image search for Eberspacher models : BN2, BN4, BA4 and BA6 and you'll see all the models they used in VWs. They now make models similar to the BN2 & BN4 models Called Airtronic 2 & 4. The website doesn't list it, but they ARE available in gasoline as well; not just diesel.

They are very well designed units (even the early ones in Beetles and buses). They are just like stock HE on your exhaust and work off the same principal.

Basically you have a S/S inner flame chamber where at one end, a small amount of fuel is mixed with incoming combustion air by way of an electric fan and inner vanes. It passes by a glow plug that ignites the mixture causing the s/s chamber to heat-up. There is an outer chamber that encases the inner chamber where a large volume of air is passes by another fan. Add ducting into the car and Viola!! A warm interior that is independent of the engine running and is much warmer than the stock HE ever could be.

Just found a video that explains it better than I can. . .

There is a lot of miss-information out there claiming that these heaters are dangerous and "explode" etc, etc, etc. Those are wives-tales retold by folks who have never owned one or even understand how they work. Eberspacher units have, since the early days, had safety switches, circuits and over temp detectors that cut power to the fuel pump if they detect an over temp condition. They also have pre-run mode for about 20-30 seconds before igniting AND run-on mode of 20-30 seconds after the fuel pump is cut off which purges the flame chamber of fuel vapors so they are safe.

The VW Beetles, Type-3s, Ghias (all w/ BN2) and Things (BN4) all had their gas heaters mounted in the trunk on the left-hand side. Buses had their heaters mounted either in the left side of the engine compartment when using a BN4 (from the 50s - '78) or under the bus when using a BA6 (from '79-on through the air-cooled Vanagon years). In all those cars they were only an option in the U.S. The Type-4 (411/412) was the only car where the gas heater was standard equipment (BA4 model). It had it's heater mounted above the transmission. This hearer was only classified as a heater "booster" since all air coming into the heater first came through the stock HE, but it could run independent of the motor and was a true gas heater.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 20 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Did 914's and buses have gasoline heaters and if so where were they and how did they work?

Yes, they were available. There's a few threads about them in the garage.

Why is this thread in the sandbox? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Webasto made a unit specifically for the 914 ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-104-1268855767.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-179-1290276837.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-179-1290276838.2.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 20 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #6

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....Corvair too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)(& when it stops working....guess what you smell!)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 20 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #7

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

and 356 and 911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I am not sure about other models, but I do know first hand that on the Things, the trunk was stamped differently where the heater sat, so you can't just put a heater in a Thing if it didn't come with one.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 20 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 20 2010, 12:54 PM) *

There is a lot of miss-information out there claiming that these heaters are dangerous and "explode" etc, etc, etc. Those are wives-tales retold by folks who have never owned one or even understand how they work. Eberspacher units have, since the early days, had safety switches, circuits and over temp detectors that cut power to the fuel pump if they detect an over temp condition. They also have pre-run mode for about 20-30 seconds before igniting AND run-on mode of 20-30 seconds after the fuel pump is cut off which purges the flame chamber of fuel vapors so they are safe.

I guess watching my dad's '67 go up in flames in the middle of a Sears parking lot, on new years eve, with 4 fire trucks and police and a large crowd gathering was just a figment of my childhood imagination.

The "old wife's tale" comes from the late sixties when VW tried to place the gas heater above the tranny. Many rusted out, spewed gas and went up in flames. VW abandoned placing them there shortly after that do to liability issues and put them back in the trunk.

It was fun watch everyone hit the deck when the tires blew. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

They were available. Never seen anyone successfully install one in a 914. Like any flammable based system, making sure everything is in good working order is a big safety concern, but a well maintained system is safe.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Nov 20 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

one kept me warm all thru Alaska. nice heaters, really hot ticket to get.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 20 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #11

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 20 2010, 10:37 AM) *

I guess watching my dad's '67 go up in flames in the middle of a Sears parking lot, on new years eve, with 4 fire trucks and police and a large crowd gathering was just a figment of my childhood imagination.

The "old wife's tale" comes from the late sixties when VW tried to place the gas heater above the tranny. Many rusted out, spewed gas and went up in flames. VW abandoned placing them there shortly after that do to liability issues and put them back in the trunk.

It was fun watch everyone hit the deck when the tires blew. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I will defer to your experience with your dad's car going up in flames; you were there, I wasn't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

However, in my experience with VWs, 99% of all fires are due to fuel hoses cracking and spewing raw fuel which causes a fire, NOT a malfunction w/in the Eberspacher heater itself. There's a big difference. Like all fuel hoses, if not maintained and changed regularly, you will have a fire. The other 1% came from fuel hose nipples coming loose. I've never seen an Eberspacher heater as the cause. Not saying it has never happened, I just think the heaters get the bad rap for the real cause which is faulty fuel lines.

What I was getting at was what McMark more eloquently stated; when well maintained, they are safe. I can't say that about the aftermarket Stewart Warner heaters though. They do not have the safety features of the Eberspachers and did start a few fires. Personally speaking, I would never use or install a SW heater.

What cars, other than the 411/412, did VW put the heaters above the trans?? In the U.S. they never did, ONLY the 411/412 and buses with the BA6 had them under the cargo floor. . . All the BA4s and BA6s that I have pulled from under the cars have been in pristine condition (once the dust was removed).
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Nov 20 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2010, 11:13 AM) *

The ducting fits over the gas tank and under the hood still? I was under the impression that there wasn't room there. (but somehow I know the lightbulb in the fridge shuts off when the door closes)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Jim, notice the height of the filler neck on the other side. That's how much room you have to play. Also notice that the heater ducting runs through the front bulkhead, not over it.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Nice to know... Especially if I ever move back to Minnesota!
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 20 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,741

Any idea what the new Espar's run in cost? They don't list their prices.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 20 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #16

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 20 2010, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2010, 11:13 AM) *

The ducting fits over the gas tank and under the hood still? I was under the impression that there wasn't room there. (but somehow I know the lightbulb in the fridge shuts off when the door closes)

It looks like it's ducted into the air blower box. Hard to see in this picture.
I have a neighbor with a long haul truck. I'm going to quiz him on this next time he's home in a couple of days.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 20 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #17

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

$1149 online price
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 20 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 20 2010, 03:56 PM) *

$1149 online price

Yikes! Though, still cheaper + headers for a /6. And no heat exchanger fitting or poor heat issues,
+Quote Post
rtalich
post Nov 20 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,913

ebay is your friend! Last year I bought a very nice Eberspacher BL1C for $500 on ebay from Germany.

The heat that it delivers it AWESOME!!!!
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Nov 20 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,341

Had a gas heater in a 66 bus, heated fine when it worked. However, it apparently didn't have the preignition "purge" cycle, whereby raw gas fumes are vented before it lit off.

One of my greatest delights came when I started the engine after the heater had run for awhile and shut off. Every now and then it would ignite the raw gas with a blast that sounded like a 30-06 going off in your ear, with a ball of flame to match. Since this was a standalone unit its output was directed right at the passenger's feet.

In this case, it just so happened to be my girlfriend's/wife's feet. It always caught her by surprise and freaked her out, swore she'd never ride in that POS again. At least, that's what I think she said, hard to say since I was laughing too hard to make her words out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 PM