Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here's a little eye opener, Get out and get under!
Howard
post Mar 15 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

So my newly acquired 914-V8 has a bit of front end shake. Take it to local tire place, they balance and notice struts are leaking and clank a bit. So balanced, aligned and strutted, I'm on my way.

Out for a drive, front really gets shaky and a bunch of free play in wheel. Limp home, jack up car and take a look. Gee whiz (I think I said it differently) the steering box was not bolted to the frame. Nice holes, nice threads, no bolts. Installed bolts. Thanked powers that be, as I had just come off a curvy road with some serious drop offs.

Back to tire shop, tech says 'they told me to replace struts, not check anything else'. Mutters a few other things, and realigns. Car still shakes, of course. Car sat for a long time on new tires, and they now 'guess' tread separation. Nowhere near round, of course, but hey, they did balance. Think I'll take my business elsewhere.

So what have we learned, kids? I learned "Trust everyone, then double check". I had my granddaughter in the car last week.

Irate old fart goes to tire store with grenade laucher: Film @ 11.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
blonde914
post Mar 15 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #2

SHERRY

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,630

Thank God that you and your Grand Daughter are OK. The car too for that matter. Something like that happened to me once, they did not tighten the lug nuts and only one was holding the tire on by the time I made it 5 miles. Kept hearing rattling, stopped at a gas station back when they had attendants. He rushed out to help me and found the problem. He fixed it, I went back to the shop and threw a hissy fit. They refunded the money I had paid for the alignment and balancing ect. and offered LIFETIME service on that car. I think they were trying to tell me something. Needless to say I never went back.

We are still here for a reason,
Sherry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Mar 15 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #3

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Before you brought your car in to their shop did you ask if they have experience with the 914 suspension? Did you ask for a road test after with the tech to confirm the repair? This has become common practice at my shop because Iam not a mindreader. You need to remember the three C. Concern,Cause,Correction.
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Mar 15 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,066

Howard,

Ran into a similar problem with my car that only happened at 57 or so mph.........faster or slower and it would smooth out. Had tires balanced by best tire shop in town and it took me jacking car up and finding tires out of round (crude but visual inspection only) to determine what was wrong. I spun tires on front while front of car was jacked up and could clearly see they were egg shaped. I was displeased to say the least that I had to find the problem by visual inspection with all the computer aids available at a high tech shop.

Moved front tires to rear and problem went away. Cure was corrected by replacing all four tires.

John
+Quote Post
914ghost
post Mar 15 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #5

BOB

Member No.: 1,387

I have NEVER been satisfied with the big name tire retail chains. They have screwed up and cost me more than I care to recall.
1)How about screwing the studs so far into the drum that when they back the car off the lift it TEARS the brakes apart. Tried to tell me it was probably like that before- even though the car wouldn't even MOVE.
2)How about STRIPPING 7 out of 10 studs on my 1960 356 Coupe. Then breaking the door handle.
3)How about installing cone-seat lugnuts instead of ball seat. The nuts bottomed out on the drum before they tightened the wheel down- seemed 'okay' to them though all 4 wheels wobbled as I was driving away.
Again, not their fault.. ..

I could go on and on.. . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
-Bob O
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Mar 15 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,066

Bob,

Reminds me of the time I left a tire dealer at 10 p.m. for new tires, shocks and front end alignment. Spent about 6 hours in the shop. I was the last car out of shop and the manager flagged me down in parking lot since my tires were wobbleing as I drove off. Found all 20 lug nuts were still in shop. This story could go on and on but you get the picture.

What a mess...........new lugs required.......3 or 4 trim rings fell off during my trip to beach the next day.........one tire leaked while at beach......stripped lugs on leaking tire caused a nightmare during tire removal. Seems like lightyears ago but still amazes me at what some shops will let go out the door.

John
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 15 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #7

Incontin(g)ent Member

QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Mar 15 2004, 06:41 PM)
Before you brought your car in to their shop did you ask if they have experience with the 914 suspension? Did you ask for a road test after with the tech to confirm the repair? This has become common practice at my shop because Iam not a mindreader. You need to remember the three C. Concern,Cause,Correction.

Have taken my cars there for 15 years. Did I tell them I thought my car may have a loose steering box?

No, I just told them something was out of whack in the front end. They told me balance, struts, and alignment.

Did I ask the tech to take a road test with me?

No, I took it out myself.

Do I believe, that as an 'expert' you have an obligation to look and advise?

Yes. I don't want a mindreader, but I would like a straight shooter.

I exercised concern by taking the car to him and describibg the problem. His advice as to cause and correction were flawed.

A client contacts us, describes the problem, we propose a solution and take responsibility for that proposal.
Been doing business that way for 35 years. How do you do it?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 15 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #8

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I was getting my new tires mounted, and the first time I go, they mount them all the same direction.. Sok, the guy thought they where not directional, its not like its entirely obvious.. So then I take them back and they flip them.
On the way back, going about 40 (accelerating) a valve stem pops out. They changed most of the valve stems, im pretty sure.
put on a diff tire, go home, and change all the valve stems to metal bolt in's.. Not having that happen again.
Andrew
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Mar 16 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #9

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

I tell them to not do any other work than what we've agreed to. If something happens/needs to be done that's different then all work is stopped until they contact me.

Never!, ever!, use power tools when putting wheels back onto the car. Always hand tools and properly torqued. I personally check the torque between 50-100 miles afterwards (just need to do that once, accounts for any initial looseness).

I drive the car into the service bay for 'small' jobs (ones where you stay in the waiting room). If I have to leave the car for bigger jobs (all day at the shop) I remind the owner/mechanic about my car (lowered, special starting instructions (my VW), etc.).

Just through experience from being bitten in the past, I double-check the work done. Luckily, I'm experienced enough to know what has to be touched to fix/repair part(s) x and/or y so I can make sure everything is as it should be. Can't tell you how many times the monkeys 'forgot' to put on my chrome valve stems or put on their crappy stem caps instead of my chromed, O-ringed, emblemed caps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Trust no one except yourself...and even then, check your own work as if someone else had done it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 16 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Incontin(g)ent Member

Toby, good points, but do you also stay awake during surgery? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

I like to know what's going on, too, but there should be a place where you can take your car, boat, body or whatever (not your kids, of course), and ask for a full workup and advice about repairs.

Still reminds me of the picture of a flattened armadillo with double yellow lines painted over it. It's not my job, man.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 10:59 PM