Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LookIng for a good conversion kit, Conversion
Pdr1787
post Oct 25 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #1

Sneaky Pete

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,779
Region Association: Southern California

Hi, I just want to know what would give me great reliability and power in a conversion. And if possible a good low price :-). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 25 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

What are you going to do with the car? (Where/how are you going to drive it?) What kind of power are you looking for? What is "low price" to you?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 25 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Factory 911 engine - $$$$$$, factory look
Subaru - good power, reasonable $$$, current technology
V-8 - most powerful, reasonable $$$, heavy?
Mazda Rotary, etc.?????

Search the forums, there are many different ideas. It really depends on what you want in the final product.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 25 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Good and cheap are two words that don't go together. There isn't a conversion out there that can get you rolling for under $ 5000.00. My advise is to fix the 4 cylinder and learn to drive the car. I ran with two four cylinder 914's at the RRC on some twisties and some high speed straights and I had nothing on them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

BTW: I'm not saying you can't drive. But a mid-engine car with a low polar moment and a 50/50 balance doesn't need a big engine to be fast. In most cases a big V8 engine sits high in the car and changes the way the car is intended to handle. There have been many Big engine Vettes and some 911's that have been shown the tail lights of a 4 cylinder 914 in the twisties. I'm sure there are some Vette owners that wished they'd braked sooner and didn't follow a 914 into the corner so deep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Did I just type that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 25 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2009, 09:18 PM) *

No. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Oct 25 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

(ha!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) -
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Oct 26 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #7

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

Read, drive, and know how much you want to spend. I think if you look enough a "good" and "reliable" upgrade s to a 2.0.
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Oct 26 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,635

Subaru Conversion turbo 232 hp (about $8000 min.)
Subaru N/A conversion 175 hp (about $7000 min.)

both about same weight as stock 914

Video is of mine ej20 subaru turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HCGkJcaA_c
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Oct 27 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Sneaky Pete

Member No.: 10,779

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 25 2009, 09:43 PM) *

What are you going to do with the car? (Where/how are you going to drive it?) What kind of power are you looking for? What is "low price" to you?

I'm looking for some speed but reliability because it's gonna be adaily driver
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Oct 27 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #10

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

imo, if you have some mechanical abilities, enough to do a conversion, a type 4 can be reliable too... they are relatively simple engines. I know people who drive beetles, buses, one with a 411, and SEVERAL 914 drivers that all have the engines (type 1 and type 4) as daily drivers.

and believe me, 120-140 hp doesn't sound like much, but these cars will MOVE with that power range. build a raby kit, or get a mcmark longblock and learn to work on it, and you will be ok...
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 27 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #11

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Do you want to keep your front trunk? Rear trunk?

I did my conversion for around $5k; but I lost both trunks and got incredible bargains on the fab work. It works nicely as a daily driver so far.

Although, I could alter my engine configuration slightly and regain my rear trunk. (I have to flip the intake manifold back around, and scoot the drivetrain forward about 3 inches, remove the turbo; and still be good for about 170hp)

I'd consider selling my setup... if the right offer came along. =o)

I have something else I *REALLY* want to try.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 27 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #12

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

the front trunk is the truck that does not get hot from engine/trans/exhaust - losing it sucks some - but losing it & the rear trunk leaves you no place for a spare tire and jack. jim

+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 27 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2009, 04:49 PM) *

the front trunk is the truck that does not get hot from engine/trans/exhaust - losing it sucks some - but losing it & the rear trunk leaves you no place for a spare tire and jack. jim

I still have room for spare tire and jack. =o) It's just the front wall of the rear trunk while I get the engine configured to put the trunk back together.
+Quote Post
ipozestu
post Oct 28 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,281

I've got a basic Renegade subaru conversion kit that is BNIB for sale. I'm asking $1300 firm. This is something to get you started and helps narrow down your choice of conversions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I'll be heading down to Socal for Redline time attack finals in Fontana in mid Nov.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Oct 28 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #15

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

If you want to keep the type 4 engine buy one of Jakes kits you will get the best bank for you buck!
+Quote Post
Numbchux
post Oct 28 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,758
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:23 PM) *

Subaru N/A conversion 175 hp (about $7000 min.)

???

how do you figure that? (genuine question. I've done many swaps, but never into a 914. so I could be totally off....)

yea, you could spend that if you're spending $$$ on a low mileage, late model 2.5. But you could grab an EJ22 from an early '90s legacy or impreza for a few hundred bucks. 130-140hp, reliable as hell (the one in my wagon has 290k on it, with oil changes at 7-10k miles if I get around to it....and numerous track days). heck, a patient buyer could get a whole donor car for $500. put a few hundred into new tbelt and some seals, make a few hundred selling un-needed parts, and have an awesome motor, with all wiring/ECU needed to make it driveable.

heck, a very patient buyer could find a turbo legacy for less than a grand. throw a new turbo, intercooler, injectors at it, and you're talking about ~200hp at the crank. and the tlegs got bigger brakes and a few other unique parts that would mean more money made in parting it out.

OR. get an SVX with a blown trans (they're everywhere). buy it for a grand or so. part it out (a friend of mine recently parted one out, keeping much of the interior, wiring, engine, HIDs, and other front end stuff, and made about $4k). 230hp, N/A, for free. little bigger motor, but not too bad. from what I've seen, it would probably fit in a teener engine bay just fine.

adapter/flywheel/clutch for the subie to 914 trans is $5-700

or use the subaru transmission. car-part.com shows numerous FWD 5MTs in my part of the world for less than $200. or spend the cash on a FWD conversion, in which case you can buy a pre-made cable shifter for it, all for about $800, plus some of those sweet CV adapters.....

the 2.2s are very easy to keep cool. so your radiator setup wouldn't have to be too crazy. Yea, there are other little costs to make it all happen....just like any swap. hoses, wires, exhaust, mounts, etc. etc. But you could get the big ticket items for less than $2k. most of the rest of the costs depend on your own abilities/connections.

again, I haven't worked on any swapped 914s. but a couple VWs, and many many subaru to subaru swaps. just my thoughts based on my findings.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:15 AM