Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my front mounted oil cooler, a little different
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

As I'm nearing the point of turning the key after 3 years of work I thought I would share what I did for a front oil cooler. First off it's a 75 chassis that has a 911 3.0 installed. Living in Florida I knew a oil cooler was a must. After looking at what was done in the past by others I decided to go a different route. My criteria was I wanted to be able to use the front trunk as a trunk. This will be a street,AX and DE machine. So based on that I went about laying this out in my head. Once I had a basic plan I started buying parts. First off was a MB oil cooler from a diesel. It's made by Behr and well built. I then came up with my mount which basically is two 1/4-20 by 6 inch long bolts welded to the tub facing forward. The cooler has two hoops that slide over the bolts. I made some stand offs to keep the cooler spaced away from the tub for good air flow. I used -12AN hose to go from the cooler to the rear mounted Mocal thermostat. I wanted to keep the length of the hoses to a minimum so I ran them straight back. Under the tub just off center are two channels in the tub. I glued tie down plates to the tub and zip tied the lines tight to the floor. In the rear is the normal routing to engine,thermostat and oil tank. Yes I know my setup is more vunerable to a front end crash or doing something stupid but 911's have had front mounted coolers for a long time mounted up front and low so it can be done. I will be making some stand off blocks in the trunk just high enough to have a front mounted full size spare and then the carpeted cover. Will barely be noticeable to the common eye. I know this isn't for everyone but I'd thought I'd share now that I have everything installed. I am now fabricating a stock valance to have a cutout/snout around the cooler similiar to a early 911 RS valance. Hopefully the pics will show it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 27 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Not bad ... you did what I was going to do, except I was going to run copper or aluminum tube underneath the car for additional cooling.

Nice job --- it'll work.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 27 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #3

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

what kind of debris protection is going over it?

oh, and nice location/install. =-)
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Oct 27 2009, 03:42 PM) *

If you are familiar with 911 RS's of the 70's they had a valance/spoiler that basically " boxed " the cooler and had a mesh screen. That is what I am attempting to reproduce. I might even consider fabricating a crash bar under the cooler like the 911's have under front mounted AC condensors. Lots of ideas in my head we'll see how good it looks when done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 27 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Damn, I have the mesh screen and bump bar from an '82 Cab ... get outta my brain. That's what I was going to use for cooler protection. Was going to mount an 11" X 14" Long Tru Cool flat like the A/C condenser.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 27 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #6

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 27 2009, 04:11 PM) *

If you are familiar with 911 RS's of the 70's they had a valance/spoiler that basically " boxed " the cooler and had a mesh screen. That is what I am attempting to reproduce. I might even consider fabricating a crash bar under the cooler like the 911's have under front mounted AC condensors. Lots of ideas in my head we'll see how good it looks when done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I might just have what you're looking for!!! And I'm wanting to sell it!

Here's some pics for ya!

Let me know!

It's out of the GT Racing catalog

Attached Image

Attached Image

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jmill
post Oct 27 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #7

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I like the placement. Are you sure you want to trust the zip ties. I think I'd use a clamp like the one pictured below. Much stronger and is secured with a bolt, not glue.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 27 2009, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 27 2009, 04:11 PM) *

I might just have what you're looking for!!! And I'm wanting to sell it!

Here's some pics for ya!

Let me know!

It's out of the GT Racing catalog

Attached Image

Attached Image

-Josh2

Josh please PM me more details.......price,size of cutout. I did look at that about a year ago and that's part of the reason I did my cooler this way. Weird how this might work out.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 27 2009, 04:32 PM) *

Damn, I have the mesh screen and bump bar from an '82 Cab ... get outta my brain. That's what I was going to use for cooler protection. Was going to mount an 11" X 14" Long Tru Cool flat like the A/C condenser.

Slits if I'm starting to think like you I'm in bigger trouble than I thought ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Seriously why reinvent the wheel when Porsche has already layed the ground work. I have a 83SC with AC so I have studied the front protection and will graft something similiar.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 27 2009, 04:48 PM) *

I like the placement. Are you sure you want to trust the zip ties. I think I'd use a clamp like the one pictured below. Much stronger and is secured with a bolt, not glue.

jmill I work in the defense contractor business so I do have access to these clamps you have in the pic. However I didn't want to drill the holes into the floor pan. I ground the paint/primer to bare metal and glued the tie plates with JB weld so I don't think they are easily coming off. The zip ties I used are pretty heavy duty but surely not as strong as the clamps. I guess once I get the car running and get some heat cycles thru the hoses I'll see if there are any issues. I guess I could safety wire them in case a zip tie let go. Good feedback thanks.
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Oct 27 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 391

I would guess the first tech inspector that sees the zip ties will fail the car for the reasons mentioned. I realize you were worried about the fluid head losses but most racers run the oil lines up the outside of the longitudinals behind the covers or through the boxes for protection. If the car bottoms out then all will be ripped away very quickly and in all probability you would never be able to save the engine and anyone behind you will be really pissed off!

I had the race car bottom several times and once was when going over a curb at PIR and another time was on a track which was flat but you can't argue with gravity! In those cases the bolts that held my race seat down and were only a washer and nut thickness off the bottom were wiped nearly clean off the car.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 27 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 27 2009, 05:32 PM) *

I would guess the first tech inspector that sees the zip ties will fail the car for the reasons mentioned. I realize you were worried about the fluid head losses but most racers run the oil lines up the outside of the longitudinals behind the covers or through the boxes for protection. If the car bottoms out then all will be ripped away very quickly and in all probability you would never be able to save the engine and anyone behind you will be really pissed off!

I had the race car bottom several times and once was when going over a curb at PIR and another time was on a track which was flat but you can't argue with gravity! In those cases the bolts that held my race seat down and were only a washer and nut thickness off the bottom were wiped nearly clean off the car.

Interesting. I run my 911SC with a huge belly mounted AC condensor and all the associated lines under the car. It is lowered to Euro height ( much lower than the 914 ) and have never scraped anything. I have done 3 years of PCA AX and one DE and no one ever said a thing nor did I bottom out. Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Your feedback is appreciated, I'm thinking outside the box and minor tweeking may be needed. However I'm not changing the placement of the lines.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 28 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Long term tinkerer...

It's probably better that they're flexible braided lines though. If they were hard lines, one bottoming out on a gator strip at the track, and they'd be permanently dented, possibly leading to failure. The braided lines will bend, and flex, and still come back to allow oil to flow. Still, the zip ties might not fly with a tech inspector. I would find a way to get those clamps on there.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 28 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #14

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Nice installation! You went out of your way to avoid what I consider the bane of conversions... loss of the front trunk.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 28 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Some of the GTs used a similar setup. I've got a pic somewhere. They simply used some steel tubing to protect the cooler from getting beaten up too badly.

All you need is a few inches behind the cooler to get a good air flow, so this should work just fine ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 28 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #16

Long term tinkerer...

I was thinking something like a single chin bar in front of the cooler at the bottom edge.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 28 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

While I admire "thinking outside the box", I can see no reason to mount
a cooler & lines in harms way when good protection is easily available.
+Quote Post
race914
post Oct 28 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #18

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

'back in the day' I had the same setup.

(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_photo_gallery/braun_914.gif)

I ran the lines behind the passenger side rocker panel though.

I eventually moved it inside the front trunk and vented the exhaust upwards. Here's a pic without the front airdam & splitter showing the cooler.

Attached Image

Good job though! My first setup worked well. I'm sure it will work well for you too.
+Quote Post
cal44
post Oct 28 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,910
Region Association: Southwest Region

Why can't hard oil lines be plumbed through the longs?
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 28 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used to have the GT spoiler on my first 914 with the oil cooler, the cooler was only the size of the opening and i think a 4 pass but it did do a good job on the 2ltr 4. I ran braided line down the underside recessed channels. The only problem i ever had in many years of driving is when i hit a retread on the highway at 2am in the middle of Montana, it took out the cooler but the lines were still there.....

FYI i went through about 4 of those spoilers over the years because of the low clearance.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 05:46 PM