Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why the 914-6 Floor Throttle Lever?, ....just askin'!
6freak
post Nov 4 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #21

MR.C

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2009, 09:20 PM) *

Sorry guys... the hand throttle is simply a rod that actually goes "forward" to the pedal assembly.

The bell crank on a 914-6 pedal assembly has a wing off the side that this rod pushes against, effectively pushing your pedal down for you. When you lift the hand throttle you can actually see the pedal go down.

No extra linkage to the carbs and no blocks.

finally someone gets it right ..lol
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 4 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #22

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry guys... the hand throttle is simply a rod that actually goes "forward" to the pedal assembly.

The bell crank on a 914-6 pedal assembly has a wing off the side that this rod pushes against, effectively pushing your pedal down for you. When you lift the hand throttle you can actually see the pedal go down.

Ergo, back to my comment on why Porsche couldn't have put it in a more convenient spot on the dash - it still stands.

Even if it cost a few DM more to link it down to the gas pedal's bell crank - the dang 914-6 cost 180% of the 1.7L 4 new - so I'm sure there was room in the budget for a properly designed instrument set-up!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Nov 4 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #23

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

Because the way it stood, it was simple and it worked. It's only used for cold starts so why make it more difficult than it needed to be. It's only on rare occasions that I use it anyway.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 4 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #24

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2009, 10:52 AM) *

Ergo, back to my comment on why Porsche couldn't have put it in a more convenient spot on the dash - it still stands.

Even if it cost a few DM more to link it down to the gas pedal's bell crank - the dang 914-6 cost 180% of the 1.7L 4 new - so I'm sure there was room in the budget for a properly designed instrument set-up!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

All the books that I have read on the 914 said that the cars were just too expensive to make for what they were selling them for. So I guess they would argue with you on that.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 4 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I like where it is... I'd hate to have something like that cluttering my dash. So, I guess we're down to personal preference.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 4 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #26

TMI....

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 4 2009, 03:06 PM) *

I like where it is... I'd hate to have something like that cluttering my dash. So, I guess we're down to personal preference.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Eric, I didn't mean to put that lever on the dash! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I meant just to add one more pull knob to match the others on the dash face (head & fog lights, flasher, lighter, etc.), with a shaft & cable or other connector "behind the scenes" under/behind the dash to actuate the accelerator bell housing movement.
...with an appropriately colored & lighted bezel & identifying insignia of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

To me, that would be a much cleaner & more aesthetically pleasing - as well as more functional & more safely operated control - than is their lever up near the gas pedal where it can be accidentally triggered with your foot, or forgotten that it's still engaged, as others have stated so far!

...some intentionally, as in Pat's story! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It seems that location is just one of those little Porsche quirks!
...anyway, my commentary above runs along the lines of any other design second-guessing we all have done at some time or another! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thanx to all who've answered my basic question at the start - of why it was there & what it does. Cheers All! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hopefully it's been a useful discussion to others out there with or wanting a 914-6! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Nov 8 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #27

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2009, 04:55 PM) *

I meant just to add one more pull knob to match the others on the dash face (head & fog lights, flasher, lighter, etc.), with a shaft & cable or other connector "behind the scenes" under/behind the dash to actuate the accelerator bell housing movement.
...with an appropriately colored & lighted bezel & identifying insignia of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I remember asking a question here at one point (actually, about the carpet finish around the hand throttle, go figure) as to why something was done in a "cheap" fashion when making it nice would have been so easy. One response I got was, because form follows function. At time time I thought it was just somebody's flip answer to my newb question, but I've since come to learn that it was actually a Porsche design philosophy, and one that I've since come to appreciate. There's an elegance to it.

That aside, I could swear I read at one point that the hand throttle was used by racers who actually started the race outside of their cars (physically), and then ran and jumped into them to start the race. The hand throttle allowed them to have the car warm and ready to go when they were. I dont' think I'm making this up, but admit that this memory is a bit, eh, shaky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Reid
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 16 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #28

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

So having bought a factory 6 car and have the lever and the carbs, Does anyone have photos of the connection point at the carbs. I plan on a 100% stock car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 16 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #29

TMI....

Hey there Orange Teener!

According to Eric's post above from the bottom of the first page on this thread, it's not at the carbs, but rather at the accelerator pedal bell crank.

Try to PM him at that post to see if he has a pic or 3. BTW - Eric's PMB does excellent brake caliper restorations & carries some of the parts you'll need (see link at the bottom of his post).

Cheers!
Tom in Orange
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 17 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #30

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

I must have Skimmed right by that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Nov 17 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....The hand operated /pull/push rod.....was one of the parts in the JC WHITNEY open exhaust pipe valve kit... loads of fun screwing with the minds of the local keystone cops....your probably to young to remember this stuff..... sometimes the push pull /pushrod operated a/ the "FOGGER'....putting oil into the exhaust manafold for a continious bellowing blanket of moquito control... also hilarious...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 17 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 17 2009, 07:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....The hand operated /pull/push rod.....was one of the parts in the JC WHITNEY open exhaust pipe valve kit... loads of fun screwing with the minds of the local keystone cops....your probably to young to remember this stuff..... sometimes the push pull /pushrod operated a/ the "FOGGER'....putting oil into the exhaust manafold for a continious bellowing blanket of moquito control... also hilarious...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Hey!.....I remember, a neighbor up the street in San Diego in the late 60s had one on his 500 hp `69 Z1 Camaro Z28, which was bone-shaking when the pipes were "open"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But this is off topic & I don't want to get Pat mad, as there's losta Sixers involved here on my O&H question! ....since you can probably recall this JCW item too - be nice on this side-humor Pat, pleeez! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 17 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #33

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 17 2009, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 17 2009, 07:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Hey!.....I remember, a neighbor up the street in San Diego in the late 60s had one on his 500 hp `69 Z1 Camaro Z28, which was bone-shaking when the pipes were "open"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But this is off topic & I don't want to get Pat mad, as there's losta Sixers involved here on my O&H question! ....since you can probably recall this JCW item too - be nice on this side-humor Pat, pleeez! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

You know, there are sometimes(for the sake of humor), that "diverging" from the topic is kinda cool.
I'm not a total "prude" when it comes to sharing the joys of owning a hot car in the late '60's. Or, knowing the guy next door who had one. But, nonetheless, we should take those experiences to the Sandbox - which I will do now.

No harm, no foul guys. Let's just take it there. Hell, I'll start! See Sandbox.
Pat
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Nov 17 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #34

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

When I sold my factory six, I kept most all of the parts for my conversion car. The hand throttle is something I kept. If you'll look at ALL 914 shifter base, you'll see that it has a cut out on the right front side. The bodies are set up to use the hand throttle. All it takes is the parts. The accelerator lever, 914 423 260 00, has a "wing" on the side that the hand throttle rod contacts to press the pedal down. If I didn't have it on my conversion six, I'd want one. Anyone with a conversion six or even a four with carbs could mount one if they had the six hand throttle parts. In the pic, number 22 is the six lever and number 19 is the four. They are the same except for the "wing" that is on the six that the hand throttle rod contacts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ME733
post Nov 18 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 9,209

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) GEE whiz...I thought it might have been a factory option, just for the 914 -6 guys....and porsche found the "trick" race parts supplier and...then ....and then .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Jan 4 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #36

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

The throttle control was just like the heater control and was on opposite side of the tunnel. The throttle control was black which differentiated it from the heater control. The factory also provided an owners manual to provide instructions on the operation of the controls among other things. I sold them new and had several for demos, and that seems to be how I remember it. Al.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:11 PM