Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resealing HF blast cabinet, Need recommendations
r_towle
post Oct 29 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 29 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Let's have a little glass bead tutoring session. Glass bead dust is mucho bad to inhale. Glass bead on the floor of your work area can get into EVERYTHING. Glass bead inside your engine is FATAL to that engine. Not only do you need to be extremely careful when you glass bead blast engine parts, you have to use the same level of care when working on your engine or gearbox anywhere near where the glass bead blasting cabinet is located. Like in the same room. Allowing the residue to accumulate on your floor (and everywhere else in the area, 'cause that's what it does, is not good, and sweeping it up with a broom or vacuum cleaner is just another way to propel it right into your work. BE CAREFUL!!!!!! Oh, and be sure you have a GOOD drier on your air supply.

The Cap'n

Feel better now....glad to give you an easy one.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Oct 29 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #22

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

All good points, which is why I'm taking measures to make sure it's sealed as tight as possible.

I use a respirator when I blast anything and I also read a lot about the necessity of dry air so I got that covered too.

I sealed it up tonight and it's looking great. Can't wait to get that first part in it this weekend!
+Quote Post
charliew
post Oct 29 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

A good blaster vaccum is also going to be needed and you might want a catch box (reclaimer) to collect the sand or beads that the vaccum source draws into the air path that will allow you to recover the media. It will have a dump valve on it and is just a box that is inline with the vaccum. I use at least 28 cfm at 100-120 psi on my cabinet. Really no matter how hard you try there will be dust and media on the floor around the cabinet. Just from changing the media from one type to the other will spill some and my door always drops some when you open and close it. You will probably want to get some stickon clear window shields. My friend just buys extra glass windows but I change the stick on shields. I use my cabinet way more than he does. I use Scat Blast products But I also started before hf was around. I used to just run two 5hp 120psi 17.5 cfm compressors while I was blasting and only used one for normal stuff. Also as the media gets really used up it will make a lot more dust in the cabinet.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:40 AM