Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Start of a new Project Thread, Its my first time!!!
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,155
Region Association: None

Howdy All,

This is the start of a new thread and the progress I am making on this little 914 car. First off, let me give you a little history. I had a WANTED ad in the craigslist area for Tucson and PHX. I got a call from a man stating he had a 914 that he wanted 1500 bucks for. We talked about the car. It ran, drove and he said it would make the drive to Tucson. We talked a little more and we determined he would take 1300 bucks for it. I arrange a rental car, drove to Prescott, dropped off the rental and then met the guy. It was a little rough at first but the car did start and drive... Well? No. Badly... Yes. I decided to go for it and started out the drive. It did infact make it all the way home in the heat of the day and over the mountains. = ) Anyway, so its now home, on stands and ready to begin its new life. Here are some pictures to start the thread.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #2

I have decided to take it down to the bare metal. After a week of a lot of hours in the garage, here is were we are at today. = )

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #4

My goal with the car is a light weight -simple- reliable SCCA car. I want to remove the horns, flood lights, rear window and anything else I can to get the weight out. I am also doing the inside long kit as well as the rear end kit to ensure it is strong and secure. I would love a 911 front end but this entire project is going to be spendy to say the least. So I am going to stick with the 914 stuff (front arms, hubs, brakes etc). I just was a high bidder on some rear shocks. I will order some 160 lbs springs for the rear if I can find a used set somewhere. I am going to go with a stock sway bar up front and will see about finding some better tortion bars. Anyway, this is just a little direction for where this is going as of right now. Tomorrow someone might call and offer me a front end for 100 bucks and the direction could change. = ) But for now we will march this direction.

Now from all of you... I have NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING!!! LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I need all your help with what to do and why I am doing it. My plan is to get the body work done (welding holes, patching rust etc) and then each day take on a new aspect of the car. Clean the parts, fix anything broken and then install it in the car. So what do I need to do before I paint? = ) Like the front drivers eye lash for the light has a bent edge... Not to bad but a little bent. Thats going to be covered and not seen... Do I do more to fix it then I already have? Do I cut it out and weld in a new piece? (my welding isnt perfect... )

Anyway, I will have lots of questions over the next few weeks. My goal (please take a shot of whiskey before reading more) is to have the car on the road and legal by Thanksgiving. HAHAHAHAHAHH SHOOT ME!!! = )

Thanks all.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Attached Image

How do I get rid of this box (voltage regulator?)? I dont have fuel injection and I think its all empty except the battery side.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 3 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #6

I was told that sand blasting the car is the best way to deal with the rust. It blasts it away (just what I was told) and you know exactly what needs to be fixed. I also was told that within about a week of your car sitting bare without a primer on it or something, that it starts to rust. But I also heard that if you primer it with POR its a problem for the painters(?).

So I was going to get it blasted so when I weld the longs and the rear end that its good perfect clean steel to steel.

LOL So what do I do? Anyone done this before?

I saw one post where the person did all the painting under the car themselves and then built the car and then took it to a painter to do the outside of the car... But I like Patrick Motor sports where they paint the entire car the same color.

Shesh... The choices and the directions to go.

Thanks all.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 6 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Well, I had it sand blasted. The guy came to my house with a buddy. We dragged it to the back 40, put it up on crates and got him started. It took him about 2:15 to do the entire car. He made sure that he didnt sit in one spot for to long to ensure no warping occured. I didnt realize there was so much bondo on the car... But now... There isnt even DIRT on the car. = )

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
john grier
post Nov 6 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,265
Region Association: South East States

Hey there Eric,
What you are doing is admireable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
To atempt such a project and do it so fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Keep it going and have a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
John
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Nov 6 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,341

Welcome to the madness Eric and congrats on the purchase. From the looks of it you did very nicely on the deal. Most of us would kill for those longs on a project car, but I'm not sure about that engine lid support.

As for "not knowing what you're doing", you've come to the right place because none of us know what we're doing. If we did, we'd be doing something else. However, collectively, we manage to keep each other out of trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 6 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Nov 6 2009, 06:13 PM) *

Welcome to the madness Eric and congrats on the purchase. From the looks of it you did very nicely on the deal. Most of us would kill for those longs on a project car, but I'm not sure about that engine lid support.

As for "not knowing what you're doing", you've come to the right place because none of us know what we're doing. If we did, we'd be doing something else. However, collectively, we manage to keep each other out of trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

Thanks Tom and John. = ) Its going to be a tough challenge.

So whats next? I can fix all the holes on the frame and put in the long kit and then the rear stiffening kit and get it all done that way, but what about paint? The car is pretty rough to the touch. It needs an under coat and then a clear coat and then paint? Or is it under coat, paint and then clear? The car is just going to be a daily driver and an autocross car. I am going to get it painted without adding any bondo to the car. It has a couple rough spots but for the most part looks good. Anyway... Onward and upward. Tomorrow I will start fixing holes and rust spots and see where we end up. =)

Thanks again.

Eric
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Nov 7 2009, 06:58 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,341

No disrespect to this forum but if you're looking for basic paint advice, check into paint101.com. It's a board specifically for autobody painting and has a ton of good info and a bunch of pros to answer almost any question you have. Beyond that, this board is invaluable for paint advice specific to the 914. I wish I could give you some of that advice based upon experience, but I'm at least 6 months away from that point.

Doing your own paint job is a great experience and you won't regret it.

Tom
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Nov 7 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice job on the sandblasting, sure wish I had done it that way looking back.
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 14 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #13

= ) Things are moving along. Are these added or factory? Need some input team. = ) Dont want to start putting a stiffening rear kit in if these are going to be in the way.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 14 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #14

I just got the Engman Long Internal Kit installed. Looks good. Neat stuff. Easy to do.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 14 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Stiffened the rear support and fixed the trunk area.

Eric

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Nov 14 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Put your door back on, RIGHT NOW. Before you go any further, make sure they still fit properly and that the body is in alignment. If the cars is twisted in any way from the addition of the longs, this is the time to address the fix. Also I would start blowing out the extra sand. I can't tell you how many times I used the air line and vacume to clean out the sand from every nook and cranny.

Have you paid a visit to your local auto paint store yet. These guys can be so helpful with advise. Pick a line of products and stay with it. They can help you figure out what fillers go with what primer and paint so the products stick.

+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 14 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #17

Here is the fixed hole where the AC unit used to be. Not as pretty as I would like but will be plenty strong for AX.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 14 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #18

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 15 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Nice work & quick! Way to tear into it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SECHSER
post Nov 15 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,669
Region Association: Southern California

wow! very inspiring.. thank you for sharing the pics!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:14 AM