Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> koni or bilstein, help me decide
vintage914racer
post Nov 8 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

I need new rear shocks for the race car and plan on getting coilover sleeves. Why would one choose bilsteins over konis or vice versa. Car currently has konis that are shot...

I've searched past threads and I've seen people use both. I'm just curious why people choose one over the other.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 8 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I prefer Bilsteins. They can be revalved for your usage by Bilstein for 65 bucks each.

Konis are adjustable....kinda. Shock dynos show a wild variation in adjustments on Konis.....both at "soft", "hard", & every where in between, whereas Bils show nearly equal. The Bils are a bit more expensive.

Ya do your research, pays your money & takes your chances.
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Nov 8 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,473

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 8 2009, 08:26 AM) *

I prefer Bilsteins. They can be revalved for your usage by Bilstein for 65 bucks each.

Konis are adjustable....kinda. Shock dynos show a wild variation in adjustments on Konis.....both at "soft", "hard", & every where in between, whereas Bils show nearly equal. The Bils are a bit more expensive.

Ya do your research, pays your money & takes your chances.

The bilsteins I should be looking at are bilstein sports, right?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 8 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

If you're gonna have them revalved, it doesn't matter. If not, I would guess yes.

BTW, I'm currently starting to set up my MR 2 Turbo for SCCA C Stock and was in the same quandry. Konis (recommended by some) or Bils (recomeneded by noone).....bout 300 bucks more for the Bils but the Bils are a whole new strut and the Konis are an insert. Looks like revalved Bils are gonna be the ticket.....but I've been wrong before.....sigh......
+Quote Post
brilliantrot
post Nov 8 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,699

Just went from new Koni Yellows to new Bilsteins Sports on the back of my dad's 911 and we like the Bilsteins better. FYI the Bilsteins have a lot more compression valving (raised the rear of the car .5") and I have been told have more rebound valving than the Konis on full stiff.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 9 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Either shock can be valved to what you need.

I say "NEED" because what you want is not always what you need.

Bilstien is a better product. all the shocks race or street have the same common parts.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 9 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 9 2009, 09:24 AM) *

Bilstien is a better product. all the shocks race or street have the same common parts.

NOT, similar parts but with different design....like Boeing & Airbus.....but Boeings last for 50-60 years. Scarebus are lucky to last 15.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 9 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

So how do you go about getting a bilstein re-valved for your car. How do you come up with the values for the re-valve?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 9 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #9

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 9 2009, 02:36 PM) *

So how do you go about getting a bilstein re-valved for your car. How do you come up with the values for the re-valve?

Our 914 resident expert locally is Bill C. I sat in on session with him and professional shock guy at Infineon for his custom valved Koni's. They ran models based on wheel weights, spring rates, how much rebound, compression, etc. Pretty impressive stuff. Worth talking to Bill.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 9 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 9 2009, 03:00 PM) *

Our 914 resident expert locally is Bill C. I sat in on session with him and professional shock guy at Infineon for his custom valved Koni's. They ran models based on wheel weights, spring rates, how much rebound, compression, etc. Pretty impressive stuff. Worth talking to Bill.

Great, OK

wheel weights
spring rates
rebound
compression
Question: etc, what specific things please
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 10 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 9 2009, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 9 2009, 03:00 PM) *

Great, OK

wheel weights
spring rates
rebound
compression
Question: etc, what specific things please

You know me I'm terrible with technical stuff. In one ear out the other. When Tripoint did my custom Mazda coilovers with koni 030 tubes they asked all sorts of questions including what type of tire I was using. I just knew what kind of handling characteristics I wanted and spent lots of time explaining car use, tire setup etc.

Best you talk to the experts at Performance Shock at Infineon. I forget the guy's name but he has a UK accent. They have all cool dyno and modeling equipment in the shop. Little hole in the wall shop with lots of cool suspension stuff.

http://performanceshock.com/service-repair...rs-and-rebuilds

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Nov 10 2009, 02:02 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:43 PM