Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Secret on getting CV loose, What is it?
damnfiknow
post Nov 17 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,980
Region Association: None

After using impact wrench to get the peskie bolts loose, I can't get the CV to turn loose of the wheel hub. "Gentle" tap on the ones at the transmission did the trick there. But can not get an good angle on the outboard ones. HELP
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
GeorgeRud
post Nov 17 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If it's an option for you, why don't you simply remove the large nut that holds the stub axle on and remove the entire assembly. You can then easily work on the halfshaft on the bench.

Just don't roll the car around with the stub axle removed, you'll probably ruin the bearing.
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Nov 17 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,985

I just did this recently. It took an impact wrench to get the castle nut free. My half shaft was in tight and didn't want to tap through so I put the nut back on with a new cotter pin and called it good. The half shaft could press through with a gear puller and liquid wrench, but that could damage the wheel bearing. Long story short...if that outer boots are in good shape, don't worry about changing them. The inner boots are pretty easy.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 17 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

I had same exact issue, befuddled and gave up for the day, next day i just got int the best position I could on my back and yanked a couples times then rotated (the axel via the tire) an 1/8 turn and yanked more, just kept rotating and yanking just when I was done and felt I was a jerking fool... trying.... It yanked right off. Same thing other side just took alot of yanking and rotating, I am a novice and I got it in a long 40 minutes... "YANK & ROTATE" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
damnfiknow
post Nov 17 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,980

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 17 2009, 09:40 PM) *

I had same exact issue, befuddled and gave up for the day, next day i just got int the best position I could on my back and yanked a couples times then rotated (the axel via the tire) an 1/8 turn and yanked more, just kept rotating and yanking just when I was done and felt I was a jerking fool... trying.... It yanked right off. Same thing other side just took alot of yanking and rotating, I am a novice and I got it in a long 40 minutes... "YANK & ROTATE" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Looking at the book, it appears that the castellated nut is the only thing holding drive shaft in. I'm going to remove it and try a gentle tap. If it goes, I'll push it on through. If it is stuck I'll go for the "yank & rotate". I'm stuck with needing to get the shafts off as I want to flat tow the vehicle to a welding shop and then body shop before reinstalling the engine/transmission. Don't have this problem with the good old rear engined bay windows I have.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 17 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Nov 17 2009, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 17 2009, 09:40 PM) *

Looking at the book, it appears that the castellated nut is the only thing holding drive shaft in. I'm going to remove it and try a gentle tap. If it goes, I'll push it on through. If it is stuck I'll go for the "yank & rotate". I'm stuck with needing to get the shafts off as I want to flat tow the vehicle to a welding shop and then body shop before reinstalling the engine/transmission. Don't have this problem with the good old rear engined bay windows I have.

good luck getting those nuts off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) e read (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) eads of guys using a 5 ft. fence pole for leverage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and still could'nt break them loose. Anyways I feel for you that was a frustrating morning but heart prevailed over lack of experience ...the 914
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 18 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

If you tap the castle nut, put a piece of hardwood in between your hammer and the nut to spare the nut or threads from mushrooming.

The ideal way to get the outboard CV out is to remove the brake caliper and rotor and castle nut and put a gear puller on it. It should back right out.
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 18 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #8

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Probably, the 2 roll pins are holding the CV in. I would guess that the outer CV's are not removed as much and the pins "rust in" the flange and that's what's making it so hard to remove.
+Quote Post
gklinger
post Nov 18 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #9

doh!

Member No.: 146
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you flat tow it with the stub axles out you will destroy the wheel bearings.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:14 PM